Riders in doncaster/ rotherham /sheffield area's

shifty365
shifty365 Posts: 22
edited August 2011 in MTB general
As part of my business plan im after some market research, so why not ask the people??

what shops do you use for your gear?
and what do you ride?? (I.e Downhill and or bmx, road XC, etc etc)

Also..what would you want from a local bike shop?? i have the idea of making a place to go to not only buy products and get repairs done, but to talk about new areas meet new people and find out about the latest gadgets and stuff..thats what the shop i used to use down south was like.

ive come from down south back to my home town and im absolutely sick of the lack of decent shops with proper riders owning them. furthermore extreme sports in doncaster went out of business which to me makes it even worse!

Also, anyone think of good shop names? im not poaching i already have some good ideas. but, i just want to see what other people come up with, some outside inspiration they call it i think!

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Only one shop really that I'd go to in the area is JE James, namely because there isn't really anybody else in a position to offer any better range of products (sales staff knowledge is pants, but techies are usually good I find).

I use the internet because I do the research part myself by reading reviews/opinions as I don't trust the judgement of a company who will basically recommend whatever they sell.

I ride XC/AM stuff really (not quite whippet racing and not quite downhill either)
  • shifty365
    i totally agree with you, JE james isnt the best place at all for advice. Personally i think that people should be given advice on all bikes available not just pushing sales of a single product.

im gettin the feeling that s yorks is more of an XC area but from what ive seen the scene up here is brilliant.

thanks for your info, though mate.

surely more people have something to say?!?!?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Give them time! I don't think all the SYorks contigent have read this in the past few hours lol.

I use decathlon as is the cheapest.
  • shifty365
    Decathlon, what stuff do they get in??

didnt actually know the were in the UK. Last time i was at decathlon it was in Majorca!
  • supersonic
    Yeah, there is on at the bottom of the Moor in Sheff. Have a good range of own branded kit, cheap bit and bobs and superb bikes.

Most major purchases I do are online.
  • +1 for Decathlon in Sheffield.

I mainly do xc riding, I do alot of research online but am also quite good friends with the owner of Lex cycles (my lbs) and find he gives good advise.

I've had 2 bad experiences with knowledge of J E James staff in the last couple of years (Sheffield & Chesterfield stores) and will not be returning to them for advise.

Once I've done my research on the product/s I want I then turn to checking prices then check with my lbs to see if they can match any of the prices I've found, I have been known to pay a little more at times to have my lbs source the product I'm after a, to keep local businesses running & b, I know if I need help with it I will be able to get it easily
  • shifty365
    Cheers for the in-depth comment Matt, its good to see that your willing to spend a tad more money to buy from a local shop. that certainly is a positive, i used to use my local shop in the same way, i was on very good terms and it meant that i could even go to suppliers open nights and experience new products first hand, for example the new clarks skeletal that Macadams supplies to the SW.

personally i think that JE James is just full of salesmen. with no intention if making their customer service feel personal to the customer. and i personally feel thats important when you buy a product like a New Bicycle. it gives you the confidence in what your buying and you know that you've been given good solid advice and that specific bike fits your needs.

ill have to haz a lookie at Decathlon and see what its all about, im intrigued.

Thankyou for the post,

(Bump, i was out on the lash last night so i havent kept up all day today :D )
  • FBM.BMX
    FBM.BMX Posts: 148
    No mention of the bike tree?

Small, independent shop with nice gear. Obviously being a small independent, can't afford to have the range and stock of JEJames, however whatever you want, they can get. Plus the more people that go there, the more money gets spent, allowing them to afford more stock.

The staff are excellent also, enthusiastic, friendly, riders. It's a rider owned and run shop.

They do shop rides and try to get involved with local events.

It's a riders shop, run by riders.

Also agree JEJames is terrible. They are massive, but don't actually have the stock their size warrants, there's only good prices on certain items, the staff also dish out terrible advice and are unhelpful.
  • supersonic
    I have to say that JE James in Rotherham hasn't been the best experience. They seem to look down at you.
  • FBM.BMX wrote:
    The staff are excellent also, enthusiastic, friendly, riders. It's a rider owned and run shop.

They do shop rides and try to get involved with local events.

It's a riders shop, run by riders..

Thats exactly what im aiming for but in the doncaster area. 100% rider owned and rider run.

its better for customers to have a more personal service above all, thats what keeps people comming back.

Thanks for the post FBM.
  • Problem is, this usually means higher priced.... pisses me right off though that bike tree charge an absolute snip of the price to their 'mates' even though it's still done in shop hours. Yes I understand that mates rates are a given in any business, but the difference is quite a lot (can't remember exact figures but I remember being shocked at just how much it was). This approach to me seems like they charge average joe bloggs enough so that they can sort there mates out for next to nothing...... or rather at the cost of joe bloggs footing the bill.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I'll soon be moving to the Sheffield area. I am fairly new to cycling and currently have a road bike, but am looking at getting a fairly cheap MTB also. I agree with most of what has already been said. The biggest thing that winds me up is being looked down at because my bike doesn't cost the same as a decent second hand car. My bike may have been bought for a few hundred quid, second hand but it is still my pride and joy! Also somewhere with decent coffee would be nice. I live quite close to a running shop in Lincoln called the lincolnshire runner. They have customer service spot on. Their shop could be a little nicer, but if you know them then aspire to their levels of customer service. I was in their buying some electrolyte replacement drink powders and they opened smaller packs of each flavour for me to try as I couldn't decide. Fair enough you've got to draw the line somewhere, but treatment like that gets remembered and encourages repeat business!
  • Ricardo- i totally agree with you, local shops tend to give their mates trade and vat as no profit no loss, however what i used to do was knock off around 10-15% for any customer that was interested, id rather bite into my profits so that a customer can get a good deal and come back to me for years to come!

Keith- exactly! i think allowing the customer to try before they buy is good, those electrolyte packs cost next to nothing and id give a couple away for free every now and then....furthermore, i normally get an apprentice with the appropriate tea and coffee making skills so thats covered as a i enjoy a good coffee almost all the time!

if you came to my shop, and i offered you brilliant service, but im about 15 miles away, would you still come back?

might have a coffee now come to think of it....thanks for the posts guys!
  • I think the key, is well trained staff who are interested in getting the right product for the individual, also staff who have a keen interest in the sport and who aspire to become involved in the business, whether it be through mechanic qualifications and suchlike, not shifting the most profitable merchandise/the one that the magazine says is the best.

Furthermore it's about consistent price schemes/offers that like you say cater for the masses, instead of inflated prices for bigger profit margins. I think things that are massively overlooked in an MTB sense are services such as saddle fit and correct shoes. Also being honest most shops who fit you for a new bike just sit you on it and go 'yeah that looks about right'. Which is easy to say without really looking at lots of elements to ensure the person has a really comfortable bike that means they won't be changing bits because they are uncomfortable (we all change them for shiny bits don't get me wrong).
  • I think the key, is well trained staff who are interested in getting the right product for the individual, also staff who have a keen interest in the sport and who aspire to become involved in the business, whether it be through mechanic qualifications and suchlike, not shifting the most profitable merchandise/the one that the magazine says is the best.

Its another good point, i think that staff that can speak the MTB language is important to a customer, you dont want a tacky salesman like at a car supermarket that hasnt quite reached his targets.

just another point, ive been looking at what suppliers do it terms of bikes and for me...raleigh's road range is quite strong and Merida offer a fantastic range of XC and AM bikes, ive rode and i have alot of experience with their products especially their full susser the one twenty among a couple of others.

Linky:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... le%2Fimage

Anyone had any experience of the new range of raleigh products?
  • FBM.BMX
    FBM.BMX Posts: 148
    Problem is, this usually means higher priced.... pisses me right off though that bike tree charge an absolute snip of the price to their 'mates' even though it's still done in shop hours. Yes I understand that mates rates are a given in any business, but the difference is quite a lot (can't remember exact figures but I remember being shocked at just how much it was). This approach to me seems like they charge average joe bloggs enough so that they can sort there mates out for next to nothing...... or rather at the cost of joe bloggs footing the bill.

I'd been interested to know whether this was a one off occurance in front of you or many? or whether it's just a case of chinese whispers.

I won't go into details of exactly how I know for sure, but there are a few customers that are set up on a small time shop sponsorship sort of deal. these are the only people that are allowed discount in the shop other than staff.

Maybe you were witnessing a transaction with a member of staff or a shop sponsored rider?
  • I ride XC in Derbyshire area.

I live quite close to J E James Chesterfield but use them for consumables only. They need (and have needed for the past 20 years) a massive kick up the arse in terms of organisation and stock inventory. Even after many years going there I still don't find it very welcoming or pleasureable to shop there.

Lex's seems very good. I've only been a few times but they're very helpful and friendly. I bought a waterproof jacket last year and the guy spent 30 minutes with me while I tried on every one in the shop several times! They had most sizes in stock of every model too.

Most stuff I buy online though - CRC, Wiggle, etc.

Would be nice to have somewhere you can go along, have a browse at all the latest kit, and chat with some fellow enthusiasts...
    Trek Fuel EX 8 '09
  • FBM.BMX wrote:
    Problem is, this usually means higher priced.... pisses me right off though that bike tree charge an absolute snip of the price to their 'mates' even though it's still done in shop hours. Yes I understand that mates rates are a given in any business, but the difference is quite a lot (can't remember exact figures but I remember being shocked at just how much it was). This approach to me seems like they charge average joe bloggs enough so that they can sort there mates out for next to nothing...... or rather at the cost of joe bloggs footing the bill.

I'd been interested to know whether this was a one off occurance in front of you or many? or whether it's just a case of chinese whispers.

I won't go into details of exactly how I know for sure, but there are a few customers that are set up on a small time shop sponsorship sort of deal. these are the only people that are allowed discount in the shop other than staff.

Maybe you were witnessing a transaction with a member of staff or a shop sponsored rider?

I won't go into details/drop names in of the people involved but this person was by no means a sponsored rider as I know him personally. I do all my own servicing ect so I don't use the shop services, looking at the post you've made I'd stick my neck out and say you own/have something to do with biketree? If this is the case it may be wise to warn your staff about 'sorting out' there mates with piss take discount! Again I reiterate I won't give over names/dates/when/where ect. But it has happened (maybe a one off)
  • alhabet
    alhabet Posts: 5
    hi, iam quite new to biking and i found that some of my local bike shops took me for a mug. i have bought some forks of je james, but from the internet. the price was on offer. they came pretty quick. ive phoned them a few times, but they take forever to answer. i now go to sherwood pines cycles they are based in the pines itself. they always give me good advice and never sell me the most expensive things. i prefer to use my local bike shops. that way you can try on what you are buying or see it first. the guys there will order me stuff in from the internet and have never charged me a fortune when fixing my bike. they are always busy and they do sell blloming expensive bikes, my bike cost me £400 from evans. i think you need to go in to a few shops and see how they treat you. i have leisure lakes near me an sometimes they can be rubbish. it depends on who serves you...
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    A couple I have had brief dealing with in Sheffield are Edinburgh cycles, just off of Abbeydale road, and Langsett cycles, on Infirmary road.

Never bought anything from Langset myself but have had mates use them and they always seem friendly and professional, some good techs for fixing and set up, not the cheapest but usually good service.

Edinburgh got stock sent over from another store for me to try. Very useful, a nice big airy store. Had a few mates use them and they always speak very highly of them.

Have been in Bike Tree but it was when it had just opened and although it all looked very professional the guys behind the counter didn't seem overly bothered to come and talk. No big deal but have had better service elsewhere.

JE James are a bit hit and miss. If you have money they will spend time with you but for anything small and fiddly they seem to not have the same time.

Take all this with a pinch of salt, having been a student for the last few years 95% of my purchases have been online and I only go into shops occasionally, usually to browse rather than buy.
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast