Shimano Alfine 8 - High gears

eggzenbeanz
eggzenbeanz Posts: 31
edited May 2013 in The workshop
Hi,

I have a charge mixer 8 with the alfine gear hub system. The best bike i've ever owned, its perfect for commuting. Quick and nippy.

However I'd like to increase the gearing slightly to give me more higher gears. I'm not worries about the lower ones, rarely use them. I've heard something can be done without changing to the alfine 11. Is there a quick chain or sprocket upgrade to achieve this?

cheers

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Well, you don't say what you've got on there now. But, yes, in general you can increase the chainring size or shrink the sprocket. I believe the two sprocket sizes for the Alfine 8 are 20T and 18T, so, if yours has currently got the 20T, you could drop it to the 18T for around a 10% increase in your gear inches.

Either way, tell us what chainring and sprocket you've got on there now.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response. I have 39T on the front and 18T on the back.

cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can go bigger on the front but there are no smaller rear cogs.

so new chain ring and new chain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • many thanks, I saw this on madisons site. All I woudl need is the appropriate chain then. Would it need a tensioner? Or as is?

cheers

http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.as ... FCS500C45L
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why a full crankset? just change the ring.

and no. the adjustment is in the BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nanocycle
    nanocycle Posts: 6
    Hi

I have just read your post from 2011 about considering changing the chainring on a Charge Mixer Alfine 8 from the standard 39T to a 45T to increase the gears in the higher range. I use a Charge Mixer on my daily commute along a flat route and often wish that I could put it up into a higher gear. I have never used the lowest gear.

Did you change to the 45T chainring, and if so how did you find it? Were the steps between the gears still okay, or were they too great to find the right gear from the mid to high ranges?

I searched the web and to date have not found anyone who has changed the chainring and Charge will not, or cannot advise me either way.

Many thanks for your advice.
  • eggzenbeanz
    eggzenbeanz Posts: 31
    It got stolen before I could try. Good luck. I think it needs a new crank because of the BCD difference.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    SRAM hub gear sprockets will fit Nexus/Alfine hubs.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • nanocycle
    nanocycle Posts: 6
    Many thanks for getting back. Sorry to hear it was stolen. Thanks for the info about the SRAM hub sprockets.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I use Sturmey Archer sprockets on my Alfine , bigger selection of sizes (from Freemans Cycles) BUT they are 1/8", they only run with a wider chain and they need about 1hr of work sanding down the thickness to fit. Unlike Shimano, you can flip them to use both sides.