Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

OT: Music to concentrate to

davisdavis Posts: 2,566
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
In a shared office, needing to read and pay attention. Sadly I've got the attention span of a tweaking squirrel. I'm after some music recommendations for headphones: got the following so far:

Underworld (meaningless lyrics that I don't try to follow, ace repetitive tunes)
Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy (no lyrics, lots of great sweeping orchestra)
Chemical Brothers (just about anything they do)

I guess it's pretty much turbo-trainer music that I'm after, too.
Spotify-friendly would be grand.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Posts

  • jamescojamesco Posts: 687
    Classical? Schubert's symphony #5 is quite lovely.
  • gtvlussogtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yeah, classical for concentration - Elgar is good - mellow and slow moving.
  • Kieran_BurnsKieran_Burns Posts: 10,052
    Einaudi is perfect you're after contemporary classical music. I can have this on all the time and it just carries you along.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Paul EPaul E Posts: 2,052
    If you want music with a rhythm kraftwerk should work quite well as it's quite mechanical or any earlyish techno
    bartman100 wrote:
    The OP is a troll = moron
    The OP actually believes this = moron
  • Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Dalek
    Sunn O)))
    5ive

    that sort of thing, slow basically
    Purveyor of sonic doom

    Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • davisdavis Posts: 2,566
    Hmmm. Elgar sounds good, any specific recordings?
    Actually I definitely should look into classical more; I listen when driving quite often...

    And, and Kraftwerk! That's got to be in there somewhere - ta!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • iPeteiPete Posts: 6,076
    "Explosions In The Sky - All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone" is an epic piece of work.
  • SketchleySketchley Posts: 4,235
    I usually find music no lyrics helps if I really need to concentrate so you don't sign along. Discovered some time ago I couldn't code or read for that matter while listening to Eminem.

    Orbital is a favourite the Blue Album or Insides. Apart from that mostly techno or trance stuff Sahsa and Digweed seems to be getting played a lot a the moment. Sometime I go with Ambient if I want to get right in to a problem. Jean Michel Jarre's 45min track Waiting for Cousteau is good for this.

    If you must have lyrics make it something you know really well, I cannot listen to new music when coding.

    Also bizarrely I found when working at home that random background helps me concentrate. BBC1 daytime TV is good for this, with the volume turned down a bit so it's just on making a noise, or BBC parliament for the same reason. Does this make me odd?
    --
    Chris

    Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • davisdavis Posts: 2,566
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Dalek
    Sunn O)))
    5ive

    that sort of thing, slow basically

    Hmmm - struggling to find many of those: I think the first is Dälek however -- Gutter Tactics et al.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gtvlussogtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    davis wrote:
    Hmmm. Elgar sounds good, any specific recordings?
    Actually I definitely should look into classical more; I listen when driving quite often...

    And, and Kraftwerk! That's got to be in there somewhere - ta!

    I would go for Nimrod something like that.

    As for Kraftwerk, I love "we are the robots" - genius.

    I think the guy from Kraftwerk did an album of cycling music, or music made by bikes or summit?!
  • Paul EPaul E Posts: 2,052
    Sketchley wrote:
    I usually find music no lyrics helps if I really need to concentrate so you don't sign along. Discovered some time ago I couldn't code or read for that matter while listening to Eminem.

    Orbital is a favourite the Blue Album or Insides. Apart from that mostly techno or trance stuff Sahsa and Digweed seems to be getting played a lot a the moment. Sometime I go with Ambient if I want to get right in to a problem. Jean Michel Jarre's 45min track Waiting for Cousteau is good for this.

    Yeah some of the earlier progressive stuff digweed and sasha used to play was awesome, that reminds me I must dig out that first renaissance album the 3cd one.
    bartman100 wrote:
    The OP is a troll = moron
    The OP actually believes this = moron
  • HamishDHamishD Posts: 538
    Check out this guy's Soundcloud page

    http://soundcloud.com/r_co/tracks

    More live mixes than you can shake a stick at.

    Currently listening to this one : http://soundcloud.com/r_co/reboot-fabric-promo-mix-july

    This one is ace disco house http://soundcloud.com/r_co/johnny-fiasc ... he-pick-me
  • davisdavis Posts: 2,566
    iPete wrote:
    "Explosions In The Sky - All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone" is an epic piece of work.

    Just started on that; really liking it so far.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
    davis wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Dalek
    Sunn O)))
    5ive

    that sort of thing, slow basically

    Hmmm - struggling to find many of those: I think the first is Dälek however -- Gutter Tactics et al.

    Sunn are fairly well known in certain circles.. Greg Anderson and Stephen O'Malley's creation
    It took the night to beleive
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIR1KfKXH6s

    yup your're right I'm sure the lack of umlaut threw you :wink:

    Here you go Big sea by 5ive
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT1JCkn51Ew&feature=related
    Purveyor of sonic doom

    Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jamescojamesco Posts: 687
    Anything by Air would be good. Lots of instrumentals, super mellow.
  • iPeteiPete Posts: 6,076
    davis wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    "Explosions In The Sky - All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone" is an epic piece of work.

    Just started on that; really liking it so far.

    The remixed version of the album is also very good!
  • davisdavis Posts: 2,566
    Clever Pun wrote:
    ]

    yup your're right I'm sure the lack of umlaut threw you :wink:

    Yeah, sorry, the spotify search over Squeezebox interface forces one to be a bit of a pedantic douche.

    Ta though.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • il_principeil_principe Posts: 9,146
    Tycho
    Gold Panda
    Caribou
    Inch-time
    2015 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Inflite SL 7
    On the Strand
    Crown Stables
  • king_jeffersking_jeffers Posts: 694
    Inception soundtrack... will make you paranoid but also work really fast.
  • iPeteiPete Posts: 6,076
    Inception soundtrack... will make you paranoid but also work really fast.

    So true, or anything by Hans Zimmer, the Dark Knight OST especially.
  • StefanPStefanP Posts: 429
    Anything by ISIS in the album Wavering Radiant 8)
  • unscarredunscarred Posts: 208
    Movie OSTs are good.

    Conan the Barbarian is a good one - heavily borrows from the Planets suite but (arguably) more accessible.

    Dune is another of my favourites.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

    FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • Paul EPaul E Posts: 2,052
    The last Mike Oldfield album is good for that kind of thing too
    bartman100 wrote:
    The OP is a troll = moron
    The OP actually believes this = moron
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 18,008
    gtvlusso wrote:
    davis wrote:
    Hmmm. Elgar sounds good, any specific recordings?
    Actually I definitely should look into classical more; I listen when driving quite often...

    And, and Kraftwerk! That's got to be in there somewhere - ta!

    I would go for Nimrod something like that.

    As for Kraftwerk, I love "we are the robots" - genius.

    I think the guy from Kraftwerk did an album of cycling music, or music made by bikes or summit?!

    It's a bit more than that - they are obsessed with cycling, to the point that they made an album themed around the TdF.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.