Planet X CNC Brakes v Campagnolo Record, Chorus or Athena

kfinlay
kfinlay Posts: 763
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
How do the Planet X CNC brake calipers compare to Campag Record, Chorus and Athena for braking performance?
Is it better to get Swisstop yellow pads for the Planet X?

Rest of the group is 2010 Record/Super Record but have seriously run out of money for the last few bits of my build :oops:
If the worsed comes to the worsed I could use my existing Centaur brakes and buy better in a few months time.

Nothing on the search function about this

TIA :)
Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    kfinlay wrote:
    How do the Planet X CNC brake calipers compare to Campag Record, Chorus and Athena for braking performance?

Rest of the group is 2010 Record/Super Record but have seriously run out of money for the last few bits of my build :oops:
    If the worsed comes to the worsed I could use my existing Centaur brakes and buy better in a few months time.

Kfinlay,

I have no experience of any of these brakes but I reckon all the above mentioned would be more than suitable.

The reason for my post is just to ask how your bike build budget has gone so high it's pretty much in orbit. I seem to remember a few months back you were after a Ribble or a Chinese carbon self build, now it's Colnago with super record . . :shock:

You won the Euromillions or something :?:
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    i didn't like my PX brakes on my TT bike - sold them and replaced with dura ace dual pivots and never looked back

I could never stop the back brake from rotating on its bolt, meaning (i am sure) even when the brake was set up perfectly, it would occasionaly slip on release and one brake would touch the rim and i had some truly awful times because of it i am sure. I was also down with a virus at same time which partially explained the poor times, however i am certain the brake was also rubbing and a major contrubutary factor. Eventually i swapped the brakes as psyclogically i was sure they rubbed and it is impossible to check the rear when riding a TT, and as i say, never looked back.

i don't rate them and they are a pest to set up IMO
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    kfinlay wrote:

In any real world meaning, you won't be buying better than the Centaur. Just more expensive.

Why not spray the Centaur brakes black and get the Record logos made into transfers. No-one will ever know the difference!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kfinlay
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:

Kfinlay,

I have no experience of any of these brakes but I reckon all the above mentioned would be more than suitable.

The reason for my post is just to ask how your bike build budget has gone so high it's pretty much in orbit. I seem to remember a few months back you were after a Ribble or a Chinese carbon self build, now it's Colnago with super record . . :shock:

Hi Pete,

Yeah I've been all over the place with what I was going to get or not get.
    My plan at the start of the year wanting a Canyon and being prepared to wait until the TdF for hopefully a good sale (as per previous years). While waiting for that my financial situation changed a bit and I had to consider backup plans such as the chinese frame. Also during that time NapD got a gorgeous C50 from overseas so I started looking at those options as Colnago's have been my all time dream bike! My budget has always been around £1700 - £2000 but as I got the EPS frame I should still manage it to get it the build for about £2350 so not much more. Managed to get some serious bargains on 2010 Record/Super Record (using my existing wheels and saddle). Still can't believe I got the EPS for £1500 but it's here, everything is included and even the warranty card is completed! Photos in Your Rides hopefully next week as just waiting on a few bits to arrive :)
    Kev

• kfinlay
    Moonshine - thanks thats helpful info

Rolf F - I'm happy with the Centaurs and they are already black so wouldn't worry about having Record on them. Long term I can always update to get everything Record - might be better spending my last bit of the budget on that Garmin Edge 500 deal at £100 as I still need a computer (birthday soon so wife can get me it and I'll buy the cadence sensor - already have a separate hrm)
    Kev

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    kfinlay wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:

Kfinlay,

Hi Pete,

Yeah I've been all over the place with what I was going to get or not get.
    My plan at the start of the year wanting a Canyon and being prepared to wait until the TdF for hopefully a good sale (as per previous years). While waiting for that my financial situation changed a bit and I had to consider backup plans such as the chinese frame. Also during that time NapD got a gorgeous C50 from overseas so I started looking at those options as Colnago's have been my all time dream bike! My budget has always been around £1700 - £2000 but as I got the EPS frame I should still manage it to get it the build for about £2350 so not much more. Managed to get some serious bargains on 2010 Record/Super Record (using my existing wheels and saddle). Still can't believe I got the EPS for £1500 but it's here, everything is included and even the warranty card is completed! Photos in Your Rides hopefully next week as just waiting on a few bits to arrive :)

Should be a stunner! An EPS built up with record for £2350, well that's just wrong
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    The brakes are the only part of my slpro I am unhappy with. They just dont have the modulation and the bite when you need it even with a change of pads. They look great mind . I will be getting some sram rival or red when i can afford them. in fact have been looking for a good price or second hand for some time...
  • The PX brakes, much to the dismay of the wanna-be elitists are actually very good brakes. Set them up once, set them up right.. and they work flawlessly. They're also silly light (100g per) and have power on par with Ultegra at least..

I did a mini-review of them on my blog a while back if you're bored
    Review is at : http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... te-review/

Don't panic.. no ads or anything.. just my experiences using the PX brakes.
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
  • kfinlay
    cheers Bob, looks like the Planet X are a no goer. I'll use my centaurs for now as I'm happy with how they perform.
    Kev

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Whilst I think PX are great value, I reckon you'd be wasting your dough on their brakes, you will always be thinking 'what if'. Use your Centaur brakes and upgrade them when you have more money!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Planet X cnc brakes are a pain in the ass to set up and you're forever having to check that they're centred, but the stopping power is good, they're light and look good.
    Personally i'd rather pay 3 times the price for a pair of dual pivot brakes that you put on and forget about until the pads want swapping.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Bozman wrote:
    Planet X cnc brakes are a pain in the ass to set up and you're forever having to check that they're centred, but the stopping power is good, they're light and look good.
    Personally i'd rather pay 3 times the price for a pair of dual pivot brakes that you put on and forget about until the pads want swapping.

+1.... that was exactly my opinion....
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    You have the Centaurs so why would you spend money on the CNC brakes which will slow down your saving for the Record that you will buy eventually and give you nothing over your Centaurs?
    You know what to do but you have buyers impatience telling you to do something else :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • kfinlay
    Davie - you're right, I'm a bit caught up in building this bike.

Master X-Light! Bloomin lovely bike you got there!
    Kev