3 Peaks Challenge?

fasterthanaspeedingbullet
edited August 2011 in Routes
Is the 3 Peaks Challenge possible on an MTB?

As in, are there legal routes up / down on all three peaks?
It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush

Comments

• BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    I believe it is illegal to ride the Yorkshire three peaks with the exception of the Cyclo-cross race that takes place there, :(
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Ben Nevis is doable (just), Snowdon you have to go outside the bike ban, cant do Scafell (but Helvellyn you can)
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Lateo
    Lateo Posts: 1
    having run it and putting the legalities aside, I reckon:

Ben Nevis - maybe... quite a bit of shale but pretty dedicated walkers paths to follow

Scafell - yes... again shale but not much of a path to use and handling could get a bit tricky

Snowden - only via the railway (IMHO) unless you want to haul your bike up allot of climbs on Miners and Pyg

:)
  • wheelygood
    wheelygood Posts: 101
    Don't forget the voluntary restriction agreement - you do not cycle up or down between 10am and 5pm May to end of September.Info at www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/snowdn_volunt.htm
    Please honour the agreement :)
  • Few years ago me and a mate did challenge for charity, running the hills (well mainly walking up) and cycled between (on road bikes). Did it in 3 days. I would imagine if you were to ride between hills off road then it would take a bit longer - also reckon back in them days we were quicker on the fells on foot than lugging mtb (up and down).
    Why not try and dream up a different - more legal - challenge? There are lots of hill/trails to go at.