Garmin Edge 500 for £99.97 (not inc. HR)

zoid
zoid Posts: 100
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Just came across this deal, it's doesn't include the HR strap or cadence sensor but still seems a good deal...

http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/1000114326/garmin-edge-500.aspx

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,578
    A good deal I reckon,

You can pick up the HR straps for around £30, and assuming the cadence is the same as for the previous incarnations, they can be had for circa £40 too.

The full HR/CAD package is £230 on there.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    It doesn't appear to be available - which may be just as well, as I was just going to pull the trigger.

For the first time ever I was considering getting it delivered to my work to avoid hassle! :shock:
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    only avai to pick up
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I'm hundreds of miles from any of them - but I doubt if they have any. It wont let me reserve and collect either, saying there aren't any in any of their stores.
  • tompo
    tompo Posts: 30
    Pigtail wrote:
    I'm hundreds of miles from any of them - but I doubt if they have any. It wont let me reserve and collect either, saying there aren't any in any of their stores.

May be worth ringing.

I rang and was told that there two in my local store but when I tried to Reserve and Collect I got the message to say there were none available in my local store.

I rang back and if there are less than three in stock it shows as there being none available.

I am picking one up later.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Great timing, thanks zoid.

My PowerTap's LYC stopped working last week - I've already got the ANT+ sensors so a Garmin 500 for £100 is the cheapest way to get a replacement computer head unit that'll record & download all the data.

Ordered yesterday. Arrived this morning. :D:D:D
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    None near London, Cornwall or Oxford for me. Boo hiss. No delivery option.
  • zoid
    zoid Posts: 100
    Mine also arrived this morning, ordered Thursday night arrived Saturday morning which was free delivery so no complaints.

Although after been reading the Garmin forums and it appears that the one feature that doesn't work very well is the course feature, which was the one feature I was really looking forward to using so that I can follow routes on my own (where I would probably get lost) that I've ridden before with others.

Perhaps I should have forked out the cash and gone for the 800...?
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Wow, impressive bit of kit.

Left it to charge, then 30 minutes fiddling & I've already managed to set up 2 bikes, one with power & one with just a speed sensor.
    Configured 2 screens, one speed/HR based for racing, one power/HR based for training.
    Haven't yet had to resort to the manual. Guess that's what you'd call an intuitive user interface.

I'm now not sad that my LYC expired.

:D
  • tompo
    tompo Posts: 30
    Picked up a Garmin Edge 500 yesterday from Best Buy in Bristol and had result.

When I rang they only had two in stock. One was a display model and because the box had been opened on the other one, they took an extra 10% off. I paid £89.97.

May be worth checking the Bristol store as they may still have one left and may discount it further.