Bent rear mech advice

woodgnome
woodgnome Posts: 28
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
Advice please. I have a boardman with sram X5. i bent the rear mech when i hit a rock and fell off the other day. It seems to jump off the large rear sprocket (between that and spokes)a bit more often than i think it should. Also when going from small to large on rear, sometimes it now needs 2 clicks on shifter to move,, then goes 2 cogs, and i then have to go back one to get to original cog. I tried straightening the cage, but just keeps springing back to bent position. Do i
a, Try to adjust limit screws on mech
b, bent the cage back a bit more and hope for best
C,Take to LBS for fixing
d, Buy better x7 or x9 ( good used one, not new) and gradually upgrade as time goes on.
Newish bike, nothing worn out. Don't suppose warranty claim as the Mech is damaged i suppose.
Any advice appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what condition is the mech hanger in?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • woodgnome
    Best way to describe is when you look down from above the cogs and mech, the bottom mech wheel and cage is not quite in a vertical line, sort of pointing towards the middle of the bike. Not excessively so, but definately not straight. The rest of the mech is in good nick.
    Suppose i should have take a pic..doh!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you need a new mech hanger or get it straightened .
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • woodgnome
    hanger looks like the one on the park tools link, "rear deralieur hanger adjustment"., but not quite as bad.
    Will read and inwardly digest..thanks.

A yorkshire man living in Devon "aye up"!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    if it's bent I'd be looking to get a new one if you can, I spent ages trying to get one straight and for the tenner that they cost it's just not worth the hassle.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    As above, if you straighten it you could weaken it and snap it in use, buy a new one if you can that way you know its right.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    i have the same mech but im riding this bike really heavy at race speed on black routes and generally its the little piece of metal that attaches the mech to the frame that bends and it sounds as though yours is the same, they weaken when bending back as its those that are designed to snap so you dont kill your mech or your wheel if it gets caught in it so if it keeps going back i would have thought you have weakened it just buy a mech hanger there like £2 and the chances are that will solve all your problems :) hope that helps you
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • jon1993 wrote:
    just buy a mech hanger there like £2 and the chances are that will solve all your problems :) hope that helps you

Any links for where to get a mech hanger for £2, just replaced mine and it was £20.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    As others have said juts get a new one, but my tip is to hang on to your bent one and stick it in your trail repairs stash as even a slightly bent one can make an invaluable spare out on the trails.
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    As above buy a new one and keep the bent one as a spare, will always be good to get you home.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    just from my local bike shop no links or anything its not a big enough shop and just keep the old one get the new one then bend the old one to the shape of the new one
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Thanks for the replies ...i managed to straighten it out and so far so good, but i'll get another one and use the bent as a spare then.
    Cheers!