Tyres : Similar Alternative to Racing Ralph

shm_uk
shm_uk Posts: 683
edited July 2011 in MTB buying advice
What other tyre could I consider as an alternative to the Schwalbe Racing Ralph that offers similar characteristics?

Comments

• davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Panaracer Razer ?
    One of my mates runs the 2.3 version on the back of his 5 during the summer and really likes it.
  • xand_xand
    xand_xand Posts: 271
    Err why not the racing ralph then?
    Are you after a cheaper alternative perhaps?
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • shm_uk
    xand_xand wrote:
    Err why not the racing ralph then?
    Are you after a cheaper alternative perhaps?

Yeh, just wondering if the RR is really as good as people say and whether something pretty much as good can be got for less money ...
  • shm_uk
    Yeh, just wondering if the RR is really as good as people say and whether something pretty much as good can be got for less money ... or should I just stop being difficult and just buy a RR?
  • xand_xand
    xand_xand Posts: 271
    its subjective of course - what suits one person will not suit another but if youve tried and enjoyed RR in the past then do same.

Im running RR front & rear during the summer and absolutley having a blast with them....come the winter ill probably switche the front to a NNic -
    nothing out of the ordinary i know -but they suit me and my style.

Get the RR's
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    you can get the RR's in wire bead for £30 a pair on Ebay.

Closest comparable is the Specialized Fast Trak.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Fast rolling dry tyres in general?

Kenda Small Block 8s
    Maxxis Crossmark/Aspen/Larsen
    Bontrager XR0
    Continental Race Kings
    Specialized Fast Trak

There's also fairly light, wet weather, slower rolling versions of each generally. Most manufacturers offer a pretty similar range, you just need to ask yourself which charactistic it is you're after and go find the equivalent.
  • Brighty
    Brighty Posts: 119
    I run 2.1 panaracer cinders both ends in winter and change the back to a 2.1 panaracer razor mx in summer, seems to work for me.

Brighty
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Toasty wrote:
    Fast rolling dry tyres in general?

Kenda Small Block 8s
    Maxxis Crossmark/Aspen/Larsen
    Bontrager XR0
    Continental Race Kings
    Specialized Fast Trak

There's also fairly light, wet weather, slower rolling versions of each generally. Most manufacturers offer a pretty similar range, you just need to ask yourself which charactistic it is you're after and go find the equivalent.

Might also look at

Conti x-king
    Kenda Slant 6

IMHO thought the Small Black 8s offer the best fast rolling summer tyre around. They look sketchy but are infact awesome.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    benpinnick wrote:
    Might also look at

Conti x-king
    Kenda Slant 6

IMHO thought the Small Black 8s offer the best fast rolling summer tyre around. They look sketchy but are infact awesome.

Good to hear as I've got 2 sat under my desk right now, ready to go onto my 29er. Bit late in the year but it's got 2.2 Nevs on there at the moment and I wanted something to mix and match with depending on the weather :)

I'd probably have gone Slant 6 if there were any about for a decent price, given they're somewhere in the middle grip wise. Saying that, I loved my old Fast Trak LKs I used to run on my 26" hardtail :)
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    benpinnick wrote:

+1

They're awesome. Only thing I've found they can't handle is thick mud. Incredibly quick rolling and grip like a limpet. (2.1" Tubeless DTC F+R)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    @toasty You'll know how much grip they have first time you brake. Like dropping an anchor. They are epic and totally underrated. Also, you can ride them longer into the wet than you think really. I had them out the other weekend when it was p'ing it down (and had been all week) and really didn't struggle at all.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.