Lidl Workstand

cwmboyo
cwmboyo Posts: 114
edited July 2011 in MTB general
just bought my first workstand from lidl looks tidy and only cost £30!!

any of u lot had one??
why walk when u can ride!!

Cube Fritzz 2010
Norco DH 2008
Santa Cruz Nomad Mk 2
Trek SL 1200
Cube Peleton

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    yes I got one, very happy :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Bought one today very happy, cracking bit of kit. 8)
  • Bottster
    Bottster Posts: 18
    First Lidl i went to had sold out!! :cry:

2nd one had a few left so i am happy to say i also got one today, great bit of kit for the price :D
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    yeah picked one up this morning this has already been posted though

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12791234

and here

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12792534

not had a proper look at mine yet but can't fault the price
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • chopchop
    chopchop Posts: 158
    I managed to get the second to last one in Swansea Lidl, i've already put it to good use changing pedals and adjusting gears. Not really strong enough to support via the seatpost as the weight of the bike was too much for the horizontal arm but putting a support under the front wheel sorted it.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    chopchop wrote:
    I managed to get the second to last one in Swansea Lidl, i've already put it to good use changing pedals and adjusting gears. Not really strong enough to support via the seatpost as the weight of the bike was too much for the horizontal arm but putting a support under the front wheel sorted it.

Yeah... I've found that. the bolts won't tighten enough to stop the bike swinging down when held by seatpost.

Best thing would be to drill through the arm and clamp so you can bolt the clamp into position. You wouldn't be able to adjust the clamp angle then. But then again... would you ever need to? Asssuming you always hold bikes via the seat tube the angle is always going to be the same.

Or you can try what I've done so far which is slide some old innertube across the arm tube and then attach clamp over the inner tube. Just gives a bit more grip.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • steve1312
    steve1312 Posts: 79
    Went to 3 stores in Leeds and Bradford after work. :( none left anywhere
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    The rotation comes from where the clamp slides on, not one of the adjustble bits

If you undo the clamp and slide it off there is a hole through metal rod, you can drill through the plastc arm, and place a bolt through this stops all rotation.

Also thouroughly check all your bolts as all of mine were very loose :)
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346

+ potato.. in fact when I assembled mine, the c-clip and washer at the bottom of the clamp fell off! I just refitted and tweaked it with a decent squeeze with a pair pf pliers
  • andy46
    The rotation comes from where the clamp slides on, not one of the adjustble bits

If you undo the clamp and slide it off there is a hole through metal rod, you can drill through the plastc arm, and place a bolt through this stops all rotation.

Mine doesn't rotate... my bike must be very light :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Thewaylander
    LOL my bike is 36punds mate so :P needs to be solid haha
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I picked one up last night and used it right away to give the bike a clean. True, the clamp arm is not that great for stopping rotation but it did help to take off the front wheel. I might have a look at a small modification though as suggested above.
    Overall I'm happy with it. Bargain!
    Many happy trails!
  • Thewaylander
    Will try and get some photo's on to show, because my description of our fix is prob a little washy for most, I'm a terrible typist :)
  • andy46
    LOL my bike is 36punds mate so :P needs to be solid haha

I did have the road bike on it :wink:

Already managed to snap off one of the plastic pegs on the end of the handlebar clamp :evil:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• DanS16
    DanS16 Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    I picked one up from the Cheltenham store early yesterday morning, they had plenty there at the time. I think for £30 it's great, at least I can work on the bike now without it falling over or having to hold on to it whilst trying to do other stuff.

I too found that a few of the bolts needed tightening (I had to put a couple of washers on to the pivot bolt for the jaws as it was a little loose even when fully tight. I've not actually had time to put the bike into it but I suspect that the smooth paint on the tubes plus the smooth plastic of the clamps will mean it won't stay put but I've come up with an idea. I'm going to sand a band of the paint down under the clamp area and then mix some sand in with some hammerite paint and put a textured band around the tube, once dry the clamp should be able to hold it in place at what ever angle I put it at with out any issue. Well that's the theory any way, I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit:

After a quick test the paint and sand isn't needed, I've just masked off either side of where the clamp fits onto the tubes and sanded the part in between to remove the glossy finish from the paint. The clamps now grip the tubes once tightened with out any problem what so ever :)
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Well, I'm chuffed with miine!

Had my road bike and MTB hanging off it, from the seatpost with no issues. Sure, a few bolts needed tightening but for 30 sheets I wasnt expecting park tools qualiy. :roll:

Crivit recommend the bike should hang from its centre of gravity so be careful if you plan to modify. Why not just hang the bike then tighten up necessary bolts to keep it in place? Works for me anyways....