Different sorts of Vaude panniers?

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
anyone got any views on (in apparent order of expensiveness) Aqua Pro vs Aqua Universal vs Discover Classic vs Discover Pro

All roughly same size, all waterproof. The Discovers have outside pockets which seems like a big bonus, and 300g lighter. Each model seems to be a tenner more than the last, with the Disover Pro's topping out at £100-105.

Any rec.s / observations appreciated.

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I have some roll top Vaude panniers - they pre-date these current models though - and can't speak highly enough of them. They look like they will certainly outlast the bike that I got at the same time and probably will outlast me and have been totally warterproof in all the conditions that I have experienced. I'm not sure that a front pocket is a big plus, but that is down to individual taste, I guess.

_
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I think I have the aqua pro. The panniers are pretty robust, and almost waterproof...

There is a top pocket that can get wet in *very* heavy rain - it has happened twice since 2008. I now fold the panniers up carefully, and ensure the zip is fully closed and it seems to work well. One of the times there was slight water ingress, I had opened the pannier to get my coat out, and I think I also put some stuff in the top pocket.

So far there is only slight cosmetic degradation on the single pannier that I uses for my daily commute.

EDIT: Mine still look to be available but not on the vaude website. They are the aqua pro universal pannier. Probably also worth a look
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Underscore wrote:
    I have some roll top Vaude panniers - they pre-date these current models though - and can't speak highly enough of them. They look like they will certainly outlast the bike that I got at the same time and probably will outlast me and have been totally warterproof in all the conditions that I have experienced. I'm not sure that a front pocket is a big plus, but that is down to individual taste, I guess.

_

Ah, what I have is the World Tramp, which would appear to be equivalent to the current Aqua:

10917_546_6.png

It looks like the Aqua Pro and Discover panniers use a different method of closure, which may explain why they are not quite as weather-proof.

_
  • cheers all!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I recommend getting ones with an outside pocket. I put my keys, lights, spare tube , money and other stuff in there so that when I make a stop I don't have to open the main compartment up on a wet day and get my main gear soaked. Even when dry it is simply less hassle to find keys on an outside pocket than rummage about.

Mine are the roll-top ones (Aqua plus) and you can drop them in a river.