Cannondale Integrated Headset adjustment

Essex Man
Essex Man Posts: 283
edited July 2011 in Workshop
Just taken ownership of a Supersix, but it came built with the stem flipped up. So I took the stem off and flipped it to my preference. However, I now understand that the top cap is the adjustment mechanism for the (integrated) headset.

a) Do I tighten the stem bolts first then the top cap, or vice-versa (the top cap is very tight if I try to loosen it before loosening the stem, it is really tricky)

b) How do I know I've tightened it enough?

Thanks!

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    with all the stem bolts loose you should tighten the top bolt first to pre-load the bearings.

they go tight enough to stop any loosness, but not tight enough to bind the headset bearings.

then tighten up the stem bolts which clamp it to the steerer.

they can be loosened in any order to remove the stem.
  • Essex Man
    gkerr4 wrote:
    with all the stem bolts loose you should tighten the top bolt first to pre-load the bearings.

they go tight enough to stop any loosness, but not tight enough to bind the headset bearings.

then tighten up the stem bolts which clamp it to the steerer.

they can be loosened in any order to remove the stem.

That's great, thank you.
  • Essex Man
    Just to confirm, when you say not too tight to bind the bearings - how would I know this, would it be stiff to turn at that point? Thanks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the play has gone in the headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    as nick has said - just take all the free-play out and then maybe another quarter-turn.

they don't have to be very tight.