Campagnolo 11 speed chainset/front derailleur clearance

BG2000
BG2000 Posts: 517
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Has anyone else noticed how tight the clearance is between the inside of the 2011 Record RHS crank arm and the front derailleur ?

I have the derailleur bang on parallel to the chainrings, and have the 'High' stop screw limiting travel such that when in the highest gear, I have the smallest gap possible between the chain and the outer derailleur guide plate (they're almost touching). But even then, there is only about 1mm gap between the derailleur and crank arm.

And to be honest, shifting up onto the big ring isn't perfect like this. If I undo the limit screw a tad, changing up improves but the crank then brushes against the FD.

With this being a carbon crank, I don't really want it getting scraped too much !

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Undo and re-adjust the front mech so that it gives the perfect clearance, takes a little adjusting but gets easier the more you fit. I push it out manually at first to check the clearance and then tighten up and adjust the screws.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Could it be that the front mech is not parallel enough - so it's either the head or the tail of the cage that's trying to clip the crank?
  • BG2000
    I have basically done that - without the chain fitted, I've set the limit screw so the derailleur can move as far out as possible without touching the crank.

RE: being parallel, well it looks parallel to the chainring, and the gap between the crank and FD is the same at the front end and tail end of the cage, so that tells me it's parallel.

At this position, it's just about enough to allow the chain to go up onto the big ring, but there's very little 'give' - as you say, it has to be exact.

I was just surprised that's all, as on all my other bikes (all 9/10 speed), you simply set the limit screws such that you don't throw the chain off the chainring, and crank arm clearance is never an issue - but in the case of the latest Record carbon cranks, you have to take this tight clearance into consideration too.

I guess this extra setup time is compensated by the very low Q factor that these cranks provide. Oh, and they are an engineering masterpiece.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I ve got about a 1mm gap between the inside of the outer cage plate and the chain when on the smallest sprocket and the cage does not rub on the crank. I have had this trouble in the past when the limit screw was too lose and wore a small groove in the back of the crank. You may have a frame alignment issue?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • BG2000
    I ve got about a 1mm gap between the inside of the outer cage plate and the chain when on the smallest sprocket and the cage does not rub on the crank. I have had this trouble in the past when the limit screw was too lose and wore a small groove in the back of the crank. You may have a frame alignment issue?

Right, but how close if the inside of the crank to the front derailleur when in that gear ?

I did find the derailleur's high limit screw was undoing itself a bit, and I resorted to putting Loctite on the threads. Better safe than sorry.

Not sure I understand the bit about frame alignment. I think the issue is simply that the inside of the RHS crank arm is closer to the chainring than with other chainsets. That's partly how Campag get the low Q factor.
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    You're right - the 10 speed is much easier to set up than 11 - the 11 is much more fiddly from my experience. I won't change to 11.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    BG2000 wrote:

Right, but how close if the inside of the crank to the front derailleur when in that gear ?

About 2-3 mm. I had nothing but agro with 10 speed Centaur. 11 speed Record is faultless. I changed the rear mech hanger on the Cervelo to a slightly stiffer Wheels one. I find that with my compact cranks the clearance from the chain ring to the cage is better at around 4mm than Campag's stated 2mm.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • BG2000
    fortyone wrote:
    You're right - the 10 speed is much easier to set up than 11 - the 11 is much more fiddly from my experience. I won't change to 11.

Yes, it does seem that 11 speed has really reached the limit of current drivetrain technology. OK for Pro Tour team mechanics, but not so easy for the home mechanic, or people like me who mix and match.
  • BG2000

About 2-3 mm. I had nothing but agro with 10 speed Centaur. 11 speed Record is faultless. I changed the rear mech hanger on the Cervelo to a slightly stiffer Wheels one. I find that with my compact cranks the clearance from the chain ring to the cage is better at around 4mm than Campag's stated 2mm.

You've got me thinking there actually - running a Compact means I've set my FD lower than with the same model chainset in a 53/39 which makes it closer to the crank arm.