Getting an existing bike fitted to me

TipsterStu
TipsterStu Posts: 74
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
My Condor Squandra ... good fit and no problems no matter how far I ride it

My Spesh Crossroads ... accidental a good fit ... ol' faithful to be honest

My Spesh Langster ... knackering my knees

What's the cheapest way for me to fit the bike to me?

What shops offer the service in London for bikes you already own rather than for buying a bike like in Condor?

Thanks

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    IIRC a Langster is a single? I would imagine the constant spinning in the same high gear all the time is having a little contribution to your suffering. No brakes means back pedalling to slow down? Ouch!!
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • TipsterStu
    TipsterStu Posts: 74
    I'm using single speed, not fixed ... so can free wheel
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Let's hope you have got brakes then or you will take a while to stop or maybe that is what is knackering your knees trying to stop with your feet? :lol:

Do you really need to have a bike fit when you already have a bike that fits?

Surely replicating the fit of the Condor should be your starting point, why not get the measuring tape out and make some adjustments and see how that goes?

You might need to buy a new stem to get the reach/height right or maybe slide the saddle forward/backwards/up/down but just copy the positions on the Condor and you won't be far out.

As your problems are with you knees it could actually be your shoes causing problems, Specialized shops will measure your feet and adjust angles with their footbeds but you might need to buy their shoes for it to work (not sure about this though).

If you really want to have a bike fitted then I would think most shops would be able to do it, for a fee. Specialized dealers definately do, providing they have someone trained for it.

Go into your lbs and ask them if they can do it or if they can recommend someone.
  • I had a similar problem. Ended up raising the saddle slightly and playing around with the cleats...
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I had a similar problem. Ended up raising the saddle slightly and playing around with the cleats...
    What was that, some kind of therapy for hurting knees? :lol:

PP
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Bike whisperer in Ealing.

Cant recommend them highly enough. Absolutely fantastic service by an incredible couple. Always happy to help even via email, always got words of advice and they live and breathe bikes.

Fitted me on more than one bike now and absolutely perfect on both. Go see them!

http://www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk/
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734

Surely replicating the fit of the Condor should be your starting point, why not get the measuring tape out and make some adjustments and see how that goes?

Makes perfect sense.