Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Jekyll rear shock

wowtaylorwowtaylor Posts: 75
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello.. I have just bought a 03 or 04 Cannondale Jekyll from ebay and i have just realised there is a problem with the rear suspension not being the correct model for it. The thread seems too low down the shock making my frames geometry all to censored . I dont have much money hence why i bought a 2nd bike in the first place so don't want to pay a great deal to rectify this problem. I am hoping you guys could help me please by either having one kicking around that you wanna sell or if you know if it is possible to increase the thread further up the shock or even some kind of adapter. It would be a shame to abandon the bike as i like the way it looks even though it is fairly useless in it's current state. I will also add a advert in the classifieds section.
Here are the pictures I hope this helps..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Posts

  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    why do you think it is wrong?

    not many of those shocks out there as not many frames use them.

    sounds like you just need to set it up correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wowtaylorwowtaylor Posts: 75
    I have checked out a service manual online and the shock is defineatly wrong mate. The head angle is really relaxed and i jumped off a kerb and the tyre rubbed on the frame and thats when i realised there was a problem.
    I even swapped the yoke round to maximise the pivot you'll see what i mean if you see this manual http://cdn.cannondale.com/Manuals/2003_ ... ent_en.pdf
  • wowtaylorwowtaylor Posts: 75
    Maybe it could be rebuilt with a longer piston?
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    the shock has been fitted incorrectly.

    compare these two images and spot the difference.

    5982332767_80d10e4e57_z.jpg
    daleshock.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • HolyzeusHolyzeus Posts: 354
    Agreed, pic from my old Jekyll

    cannondalesssx2031.jpg
    Nicolai CC
  • wowtaylorwowtaylor Posts: 75
    I swapped the yoke and the lock ring over to give me extra reach. From what i can gather there was 2 types of shock used for some reason because i have seen some where the thread is higher up the body and the one you've pictured which is lower and somewhere along the line my bike has been fitted with the wrong shock. I know this is the problem as i have had the thread chased 20mm further up the body and everything is how it should be. It's currently at work in bits while i add a few bits so i can't offer you a before and after. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for an unmolested shock though.
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    no you adjust it for different usage. which is why you see
    daleshock.jpg
    shockl.jpg

    is your collar fitted correctly?


    what is the i2i and stroke of that shock? 7" something or 6" something or?

    the 2004 did come with2 sizes
    but the 2003 only came with one size
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • HolyzeusHolyzeus Posts: 354
    wowtaylor wrote:
    I because i have seen some where the thread is higher up the body and the one you've pictured which is lower .
    Erm because its adjustable geo by raising or lowering the shock via the thread
    Nicolai CC
  • wowtaylorwowtaylor Posts: 75
    I understand principle of it as i was mulling it over for the best part of 8 hours yesterday and if you see the way i have swapped the yoke over to get the pivot point as high as i could and the problem was still there. So... i'm fairly certain the shock is not meant for the frame.
    I need this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FOX-Float-RL-Cannon ... 2312a7fb9c

    And not this one
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=52212
  • wowtaylorwowtaylor Posts: 75
    Holyzeus wrote:
    wowtaylor wrote:
    I because i have seen some where the thread is higher up the body and the one you've pictured which is lower .
    Erm because its adjustable geo by raising or lowering the shock via the thread

    Erm nowt man i know i'm right!
  • wowtaylorwowtaylor Posts: 75
    nicklouse wrote:
    the shock has been fitted incorrectly.

    compare these two images and spot the difference.

    5982332767_80d10e4e57_z.jpg
    daleshock.jpg

    compare those too shocks and not the yoke or lock ring and you can quite clearly see there is a huge difference.
  • HolyzeusHolyzeus Posts: 354
    wowtaylor wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    the shock has been fitted incorrectly.

    compare these two images and spot the difference.

    5982332767_80d10e4e57_z.jpg
    daleshock.jpg

    compare those too shocks and not the yoke or lock ring and you can quite clearly see there is a huge difference.
    What difference?
    What are you trying to say? The Jekyll was made during a long production run using different versions of Float's. They also altered the frame slightly but the principle did not.


    AFAIK only the Jekyll used a shock with a collar, i think the problem here is your tinkering to achieve something which isn't doable
    Nicolai CC
  • wowtaylorwowtaylor Posts: 75
    Are you saying you cannot see any difference betwwen those 2 shocks? it isn't about tinkering it's about rectifying. In the state before I i 'rectified' it the front mech didnt work. because the geometry was all wrong. Let me clear something up before you begin to patronise me further. I am not an idiot, I swapped the yoke and lockring around to gain the thickness of the lockring albeit just a couple of milimetres. The shock is incorrect and inoperable until a mate of mine chased the thread higher up the shock body.
    I will keep my eyes peeled for the correct shock then i wil put the yoke and lockring in the correct order.
    :wink:
  • HolyzeusHolyzeus Posts: 354
    Maybe i was being patronising but we cant see what your getting at.
    Stick it on MTBR, they have maker specific forums with many
    Jekyll owners
    Nicolai CC
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    wowtaylor wrote:
    I understand principle of it as i was mulling it over for the best part of 8 hours yesterday and if you see the way i have swapped the yoke over to get the pivot point as high as i could and the problem was still there. So... i'm fairly certain the shock is not meant for the frame.
    I need this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FOX-Float-RL-Cannon ... 2312a7fb9c

    And not this one
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=52212

    so you believe you need a shorter shock with less stroke?

    have you measured your existing one as I suggested before?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • HolyzeusHolyzeus Posts: 354
    The only difference between those two shocks is one has lockout
    Nicolai CC
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    Holyzeus wrote:
    The only difference between those two shocks is one has lockout

    maybe maybe not as the CRC one does not say what year it fits or give any dimensions.

    TBH I do not see what the issue is.
    I swapped the yoke and lockring around to gain the thickness of the lockring albeit just a couple of milimetres. The shock is incorrect and inoperable until a mate of mine chased the thread higher up the shock body.
    you seem to be doing two things that do the opposite.

    but as you have not actually said what you are trying to do to the geo and what seems to be wrong I have nothing to add.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
Sign In or Register to comment.