Crank Clunk

nasher45
nasher45 Posts: 4
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Greetings

Total newbie here so apologies for any lack of knowledge

Basically just got my entry level bike, Carrera Fury, to get into riding

After giving it a going over and checking torque settings on all parts I took it out for a ride

After 5 miles or so there is a clunk (under load when pedalling) mainly felt through the left hand pedal, and a noise accompanying it.

So checked everything again, including pedals, and it seemed the right hand side crank bolt needed a quarter turn to tighten up which is what I did.

Took it out tonight and after 6 miles the noise returned, again the same bolt appears to have needed a turn to tighten. I did the torque setting to 40Nm as it states to do between 38 and 42

It seems off for the noise to be predominantly in the left hand pedal when the right hand bolt is the one seemingly coming loose

I know online diagnosis can be a tricky task, but was hoping someone may have some idea of what it could be before I have to go into my local Halfords, where unfortunately the bike staff don't seem too clued up!

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it new? yes tak it back.

why 40? why not 42?

what are the cranks and the fitting?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nasher45
    I just thought if 42 was max it was better in between the two named figures. Not sure on crank or assembly, like I said total newbie sorry!
  • nasher45
    Any ideas anyone?
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    if its new i'd take it back and not mess with it