XC/Commuter project (Kinesis Maxlight)

EdW
EdW Posts: 103
edited November 2011 in Your mountain bikes
After building up my new Carbon 456 I decided that I need a second bike for the more gentle rides, commuting, trips the shops & pubs,etc... So, instead of selling my old steel 456 as a complete bike I just sold the frame & forks with the intention of getting a second hand XC frame & rigid forks to bolt all my other components to.

I eventually found this rather nice Kinesis Maxlight XC Easton frame on eBay & got some Exotic carbon forks to go with it.

DSCF0229.jpg
DSCF0230.jpg

Basic spec will be:
Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheels
XT gears with Deore 26/36/48 chainset
Hayes Stroker Ryde brakes

I'll post full spec & more pics when finished, until then, here's a sneak preview.
DSCF0232.jpg

Comments

• chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    I'm planning a similair project myself I just can't decide on a decent 2nd hand frame :(
    It's looking pretty good btw :D
  • EdW
    I just can't decide on a decent 2nd hand frame
    I know what you mean, it took me about 2 months to find one I liked that didn't go for silly money.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Nice 8)

Let us know what the forks are like, I am running Project 2s
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    The frame looks in really good nick, doesn't look as though it's ever seen a mountain/trail centre.

The frames the same as mine so definitely a 26.8 seatpost.
  • EdW
    There's a few scratches, but I suppose that's the beauty of a silver frame - you have to look closely to see them.
    Thanks for the info on the seatpost size. I got one yesterday & it fits perfectly.
  • EdW
    Ok, the bike has been finished for a couple of months now, so here's the full spec, some pics & small review.

Frame: Kinesis Maxlight XC Easton
    Fork: Exotic Carbon (420mm length)
    Headset: FSA Orbit XL2
    Wheels/tyres: Fulcrum Red Metal 5 with Michelin XC Dry2 26x2.0
    Brakes: Hayes Stroker Ryde with 160mm rotors
    Gears: Shimano XT mechs & shifters
    Chainset: Shimano Deore M590 26/36/48
    Cassette: Shimano SLX 11-28T
    Chain: KMC X9-L
    Stem: FSA XC-115
    Bars: On-One Fleegle Pro
    Seatpost: Ritchey Comp 26.8x350mm
    Saddle: WTB LaserV SLT
    Weight: Approx 24 lb

DSCF0258.jpg
    DSCF0259.jpg

Been on a few rides now, mainly gentle XC stuff, gravel paths, bridle ways, country lanes, etc... It seems very fast for a MTB, the high gearing works well for me. Offroad the lack of suspension doesn't really bother me, the carbon fork dampens the worst of the bumps & the front end is very light. I've even found myself doing the odd jump & riding the sort of terrain that I usually reserve for the 456.
    Overall, I would say if you mainly ride onroad & light offroad trails consider going rigid.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    That looks nice, I like a nice "clean" looking bike, not too blingy!

I like the funky rear mudguard, does it work, where'd you get it?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Looks cool. I have these forks and i have to say i find mine excellent. I cant believe how much they dampen the bumps!
  • EdW
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    I like the funky rear mudguard, does it work, where'd you get it?
    It's a Mucky Nutz Bender Fender, meant to be used on suspension forks but I thought I'd try it on the seat stay bridge. Not very effective to be honest so I've removed it. Got some propper mudguards on order ready for the winter commute.

I would advise anyone who has cheap sub 100mm travel suspension forks on their bike to replace them with a carbon rigid fork - the damping will probably be just as effective & you'll save at least 1kg in weight.