Road cycle racing in dorset/hampshire?

themyers
themyers Posts: 69
edited July 2011 in Amateur race
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone knew of any road racing in Dorset/Hampshire either now or planned for 2012. I haven't been living here that long (a year or so) but there doesnt appear to be much racing.

There used to be Wessexvelo that used Barnsfield Heath as closed circuit and then ran some local races on open roads too. However, they did not put any races on in 2011 and there are no signs (though happy to be corrected) that that will resurect in 2012. I think someone else may have even run it before that, but as I said, haven't been living here that long.

Also, I know that the TLI races are weekly in the summer in Wool over on the Purbecks but for me that is impossible to get to on a week night from work although I hear these races are really good.

I used to live in Surrey and obviously Surrey league is massive and they have quite a bit of racing so why not the same for Dorset? Again, happy to be corrected.

Comments, thoughts...

Cheers:)

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Catchment area for the Surrey league includes SW London?
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    Hopefully there will be the Wessex League next year. It was really good for the last couple, but this year they've not run anything.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    I hope there will be more races next year, I am moving to Poole in August and it does seem as if RRing is a bit thin on the ground.
  • simon44
    simon44 Posts: 52
    There is racing at Moreton (near Dorchester) on a Thursday night. The last race for this year is next week. http://moretoncycleraces.org.uk/
  • themyers
    maybe i will email the wessex guys see what the plans are. Best thing would be if TLI ran another race in a more central area as although Barnsfield looked great as it was closed the price per race for a weekly was quite high which I imagine reflected the cost to hire it, but still would love if it was on next year

if I had the contacts I would love to organise some races!
  • themyers
    simon44 wrote:
    There is racing at Moreton (near Dorchester) on a Thursday night. The last race for this year is next week. http://moretoncycleraces.org.uk/

Hi Simon44 - I tried to make it last night but couldn't - willo try next week. It is a shame it is so far away from me - be great if they also did a more central dorset one too!