Found a beautiful frame, but the price...?!

salsarider79
salsarider79 Posts: 828
edited August 2011 in Road general
It's a 1950's bike with Lincoln Imp on the head badge. It's a Hopper, a few pic's of it are here http://www.re-buy-cycle.co.uk/details.php?id=157&temp=4. It's not a track frame but as the rear is 120mm spaced, it would be perfect for a singlespeed town bike.
The paint has faded to the point where the name on the side is only just visable, but thats about it. It doesn't look rusty, but to me is not in the best of conditions.

Then I see a price tag of £120...?! Is it just me or would someone here pay that for an old frame?[/url]
jedster wrote:
Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on the marque and quality of the frame - going-rate for a quality UK steel frame is upwards of £100 and often £300 plus for some reknown British and Italian makes. Be aware that even a basic respray will easily be in excess of this and a lot more if you want multi-colour, transfers etc.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Depends on the marque and quality of the frame - going-rate for a quality UK steel frame is upwards of £100 and often £300 plus for some reknown British and Italian makes. Be aware that even a basic respray will easily be in excess of this and a lot more if you want multi-colour, transfers etc.

I am obviously in a minority; I get given my frames and the bits to complete them (but then the donors know that I won't be selling them afterwards) and they are not rubbish.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Be aware that even a basic respray will easily be in excess of this and a lot more if you want multi-colour, transfers etc.

But this one would be spoiled by a respray by the looks of it. Could cost a bit to get it on the road though.....

Edit - sold now so somebody wanted it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The link in my OP above isn't the actual bike I was looking at. Sorry. It's the frame that I'm trying to point to. The paint it way more faded than the one in the pic....It is just the frame and forks they want £120 for :shock:

Explanation fail.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.