Cracked ribs?

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited November 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hello :D

I had a bit of a nasty fall last Monday in Morzine, felt ok at the time (well, a bit battered but basically ok) but my ribs have felt progressively worse and worse since then....

I landed superman-style on my chest after a jump so i'm not surprised that my ribs are hurting, but I can't understand why they have got worse? I rode the rest of the week feeling ok, but its got much worse over the weekend. Possibly after lugging my bike bag / luggage across the airport maybe?

I have cracked ribs before and I guess this feels kind of similar, but there's no bruising and it's all so tender it keeps waking me up at night. And I can't put my car into reverse as that seems to be exactly the muscles that are hurt :?

Any ideas?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    miss notax wrote:

Any ideas?

Do not sneeze. :cry:
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    hiya, basically it hurts more than yesterday because your adrenaline and the bodies natural anesthetic reduce the further away from a fall you get. (hope that makes as much sense as it did in my head)

i had the same problem a few years ago, the Hospital wont xray either, so just take it steady, and be weary of flying for the next few days.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I feel down the stairs at home about 3 months ago (no I had not been drinking) and my ribs hurt like hell about a week later.

I went to the docs, he just felt them said "bruised" told him I had no bruising and all he said was you can bruise and not show it, took about 3 weeks for them to feel good again.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Did mine a couple of months ago, I didn't have much in the way of pain at the time of the accident, like you it was a day or two after that the pain kicked in.

I had no visible bruising but had to sleep on one side for 5-6 weeks.

Any use of your core muscles will cause pain and it's surprising how often you use them. :twisted: :lol:
  • could be strained intercostal muscles. I have had that sort of problem before and that is what my doctor told me. They are the muscles that hold the ribs together. Takes around 4-6 weeks to heal if you rest them.

Keith
  • miss notax
    Crikey, dangerous this biking lark isn't it?!! :shock: :lol:

Actually ended up at A&E last night after pain got worse over the weekend, and last night out for dinner I could feel a stabbling pain when I was laughing :shock: Four hours of waiting around and a chest x-ray later (to check I hadn't damaged my lungs!) and it seems no permanant damage, just old-fashioned cracked / bruised ribs and intercostal muscles..... Ibruprofen and rest!

Riding seems to be ok, it's just breathing, sneezing, coughing, laughing, sleeping etc that hurts :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Exactly the same for me, did mine on Thursday!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Whatever you've done to them they don't tend to do anything unless the lungs get compromised.
    I did break 3 ribs in a big way 2 years ago and went purple from my waist to about nipple high all around my left side. I was x rayed to check for fluid on the lungs. I was alright for 2 weeks then sneezed and punctured a lung. Cue a week in hospital with a chest drain.
    The thing they kept telling me was to take lots of pain killers as it's important to breath deeply to stop fluid building up on your lungs as that makes you cough a lot which is very painful.
    So breath deeply and take pain killers if you need to facilitate this.
    Hope you heal well. My ribs stil lhurt sometimes.
  • I cracked a couple last year. I went to the hospital and got the following advice (your experience may differ)...

The major concern with ribs as that you become immobile and breath shallow, this leads to lung infections and increases the recovery time.

The advice I got was pop a million pain killer (co-codamol and paracetamol) to control the pain, and keep breathing and moving as normally as possible.

Obviously I am not a doctor, if you have prolonged pain, I would suggest you get yourself to a doctor / A&E
  • I had pulled muscles/bruised ribs after going over the bars on a drop and landing really badly. Took 4/5 weeks to heal completely, I found Solpadeine(sp) and ibuprofen together worked well to take the pain away. Staggered them so as one was wearing off the other was still active. I found that in the morning was worse as I had stiffened up overnight sitting upright trying to sleep on the couch but over the course of the day got better. Hope it gets better soon.
    False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Darwin
  • Done mine a couple of times, not nice is it?
    Both times I was able to start easy riding after a week or so, so long as not too bumpy etc. Actually felt better on bike than walking!
    Hope you recover soon.
    steve.
  • I went over the bars on Sunday and felt very sore in the rib area.Since then Its got worse been to the docs tonight and they say its just muscular so it seems sometimes the pain gets worse before it gets better.I suppose its a bit like going to the gym after a long break the pain doesn't kick in for a couple of days.
  • I went over the bars on Sunday and felt very sore in the rib area.Since then Its got worse been to the docs tonight and they say its just muscular so it seems sometimes the pain gets worse before it gets better.I suppose its a bit like going to the gym after a long break the pain doesn't kick in for a couple of days.
  • miss notax
    Just seen this (been promoted at work which is seriously affecting my forum time :evil: ) , thanks guys :D

Ribs are feeling a lot better now, riding is actually pretty comfy now! Managed a couple of days riding at Afan last weekend so they are definitely on the mend. I learnt at the gym tonight though that attempting sit-ups is not a good idea :? :shock:

Sorry to hear about your bash too Jonathan914 :(

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mine are worse! Must be sleeping funny on them. Pain all the way from armpit down to the bottom of the rib cage, feels full and makes weird noises lol.
  • miss notax
    supersonic wrote:
    Mine are worse! Must be sleeping funny on them. Pain all the way from armpit down to the bottom of the rib cage, feels full and makes weird noises lol.

Oh no :shock:

The pain with mine semed to move around and get further towards my armpits as time went on (weird, I know).. It's worth also watching how you carry yourself because of the rib injury - my shoulder is now massively uncomfy and i'm sure it's because i'm holding myself weirdly because of the injured ribs!!! Hope they feel better soon :D

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    another member to the group :D I did mine last tuesday going down a steep set of steps - didnt bother lowering the saddle, which ended up with me being whacked about 4 times in the same spot by the back of my not very soft carrera saddle...
    Wasn't too bad at first, then did nant y arian on sat, loaded up with ibuprofen, which was still ok. Paying for it now though.. Feel like an old man hobbling round crouching over..