Anyone have a hard shell bike box I could borrow/rent?

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi

Off to the Dolomites at the start of September for a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering if anyone has a hard-shell bike box that I could borrow between 30 August and 12 September for suitable monetary compensation? My bike's on the larger size - 56cm with an integrated seat post - so would need a larger bike box. Also looking for similar for the girlfriend whose bike is much smaller and manageable.

Let me know if you have anything.

Thanks

KS
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Hi

Off to the Dolomites at the start of September for a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering if anyone has a hard-shell bike box that I could borrow between 30 August and 12 September for suitable monetary compensation? My bike's on the larger size - 56cm with an integrated seat post - so would need a larger bike box. Also looking for similar for the girlfriend whose bike is much smaller and manageable.

Thanks

KS

Keyser_Soze - I don't have one but London Cycle Workshop have a couple for rent, and the cycle shop down in southfields has loads of them. Also bikeboxalan. Think ther're £8 a day of £40 a week or something like that.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Try Comtat in Putney, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • keyser__soze
    Thanks, have already emailed Comtat - more convenient than the other place that rents them out based in Windsor - but neither option are as 'cost-effective' as I was hoping!
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I know Dulwich Paragon hire theirs out. Might just be to members though.

There's a calendar of availability on their website too.
    http://www.dulwichparagon.com/acidcat/default.asp?itemID=331&itemTitle=Bike%20Boxes%202011
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I have one you can borrow Keyser - no charge mate - glad to help. You can collect it from Epsom or my offices near Vauxhall Bridge. I'm pretty sure my email address is on my Profile - if not get in touch via the Forum again. I've used the box for a 58cm bike before - its a tight fit but it does work - so you should be OK. Get in touch when you can.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • keyser__soze
    Raymondo60, excellent, thanks. I'll drop you an email shortly.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Hi

Thanks

KS
    Probably easier just to get the girlfriend a seat on the plane. Women prefer not to travel freight
  • keyser__soze
    vorsprung, and a heck of a lot cheaper too. You seen what Easyjet charge for excess baggage? ;)

Mandatory sub-pollex part: twas a joke, the missus organised this trip, if anything I'm the excess baggage and if we paid by weight I'd be paying almost double