Impromptu wiggle purchase

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
I have Ultegra SL

Will Ultegra 6700 10speed work?

What cassette would you buy.

Answer quickly... the Impromptu-ness is wearing off....
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    will be fine.

im personally a fan of 11-25 or 11-28 depending on the bike.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yes. Ultegra, since you already have it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Yes

12-23 for me in London
  • cjcp
    Oops. 12-25.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Is this for the perambulator?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • DonDaddyD
    I went for 105 12-27.

Did I make a mistake.

Oh fart, indecisiveness is settling in - I've cancelled that and have gone back to Ultegra
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spasypaddy
    wise choice, and one noone else put up as an option :lol:

i like my 11 tooth cog, what id have recommended if you had more time was to actually check what was on the bike currently and just get another one of them
  • DonDaddyD
    spasypaddy wrote:

i like my 11 tooth cog, what id have recommended if you had more time was to actually check what was on the bike currently and just get another one of them

I've re-canceled the Ultegra order and gone back to the original. I think I need to buy something else to calm my nerves...
    Food Chain number = 4

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    MTFU, 11-23.
  • spasypaddy
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

I've re-canceled the Ultegra order and gone back to the original. I think I need to buy something else to calm my nerves...
    why are you buying a new cassette anyway? surely you only replace them when needed? or do you like to have a range of cassettes for differing legs feels?
  • DonDaddyD
    Alright Shimano 105 10 Speed (I've got a kid to think about) 11 - 28 going on Karen.
    Food Chain number = 4

• cjcp
    I've got 105 on my commuter, but since you've already got Ultegra...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    spasypaddy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

why are you buying a new cassette anyway? surely you only replace them when needed? or do you like to have a range of cassettes for differing legs feels?

Because the old one needs replacing.
    Food Chain number = 4

• spasypaddy
    are you getting a new chain to go with it?

just seen you are replacing due to wear, DEFINITELY get a new chain as well
  • DonDaddyD
    cjcp wrote:
    I've got 105 on my commuter, but since you've already got Ultegra...

It was a tenner more and every penny counts at the moment. I'm trying to be a fiscal Jedi while still trying to remember the joys of wanton spending disregard.

I've made the wrong decision haven't I!?

:x
    Food Chain number = 4

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    11-23, and yes a new chain should be installed at the same time.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    spend the tenner on a new chain
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Go Ultegra, 105 is a downgrade and you should never downgrade your best bike (I am curious why you need a new groupset at all - I'm sure I've had my bike longer than you've had "Karen" and its still going fine, maybe you rack up the miles?)

Cassette for mainly London you shouldn't need bigger than 25 (23 would probably be OK). 28 definitely overkill with a compact for all but the steepest hills. 12-25 probably the sensible choice, although I do like an 11 for top end speed.
  • DonDaddyD
    I should have gone for Ultegra, I went 105. I can always swap it out at a later date.

I haven't racked up the miles I lost a couple sprockets during a wheel swap between Karen and Donovan.

So it's more a replacement cassette.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    What wheels are you running?
    If it's got an alloy freehub body, you'll probably want the ultegra. I think 105 lacks the sprocket carrier.

[Edit] I'm wrong about this, ignore! [/Edit]
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm not running any wheels on Karen at the moment.

That's a more serious purchase for another time.
    Food Chain number = 4

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You lost sprockets? Like down the back of the sofa?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    28 OMG - in London ? Why ? Is this so you can attach the pram, or tagalong ?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm not running any wheels on Karen at the moment.

That's a more serious purchase for another time.

Have you learnt the art of levitation? ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Really don't think it matters much if the cassette is Ultegra or 105 as long as you have appropraite ratios.

+1 for a new chain though, even if your current one has only modest wear. You can always swap the current one back in after a bit of use.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Sorry to jump on DDD's post, but any chain recommendations for 10 spd 105?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    kelsen wrote:

KMC for me.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cjcp
    davis wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

KMC for me.

+1
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Aidy wrote:
    ... a new chain should be installed at the same time.

I have it on good authority (Evans) that the bike should be replaced at the same time. Apparently modern bikes are not servicable; use and dispose. :lol:
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    A 28 in London?!? Seriously that can't be right. A 23 can get you up anything up in west yorks (admittedly I am built for climbing) so you can't need a 28 for flat roads. What on earth will you use it for?
    :?