Panaracer EVO3s worn through to canvas after a small lock up

garnett
garnett Posts: 196
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Looking for advice from more experienced riders.

I swapped over some incredibly durable Bontrager Race Lite tyres for something I thought might give me some free speed - Panaracer EVO3s - on Saturday.

Yesterday I locked up the back wheel when someone stepped back off the pavement into the street.

I slowed and then locked up and must have skidded for a meter at most. I actually thought to myself, "Lewis will have blackspotted his tyres there, David".

Well I have taken them down to the canvas. About an inch showing.

I'm new to race-esque tyres so I was wondering - is this the level of resilience I should expect?

Comments

• rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    So let me get this right, the tyres were only 3 days old and the lock up was only a metre long? Doesn't sound right at all to me. Even if you weighed two or three times as much I doubt there would be enough weight pushing down to pull off that amount of rubber over a metre of tarmac.
  • garnett
    Rich, thanks for the reply.

I'm about 95 kgs (15 stone) so definitely not a light rider, but as I say, the lock up was very short. I've done the same many times on the old Bontragers and they've still got some life in them.

I thought it seemed a pretty outrageous degree of wear, but I'm not used to race tyres, and wasn't sure whether this was what I had to expect.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Not familiar with the EVO3's but I've had similar lock-ups on Conti GP4000's and Schwalbe Ultremo's and not had noticeable wear nor would I expect any. Unless the EVO3 is a 100g race-day only tyre then I'd say it's crap that it should wear like that, whether you can get a replacement though I don't know (I'm sure you'll have eyebrows raised at you when you mention skidding...)
  • garnett
    Yeah, that's what I reckon. Still, I think I'll give it a go. The worst they can say is, "No."
  • garnett
    Thought I should probably end off the thread. Had some bother dealing with the staff on the Cut but in the end they really came through. Dealt with a few herberts, and got told there was nothing they could do, but in the end I went in yesterday and dealt with a bloke who I think may have been the manager, and who seemed like a genuine bike enthusiast. Throughly decent bloke who offered me a free tire as replacement. Was drunk at the time and so insisted on going halves, but to be honest I can't fault the overall treatment I received.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    These tyres sound very thin imo, have a look at some good race tyres like Michelin ProRace 3s, which are fine for all year round cycling imo ....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Race tyres are built for performance rather than durability. Whether you'd skidded or punctured there's no come back with the maker - you've clearly bought the wrong product for your needs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    .....and can't control a bike properly if you're locking up. You need to buy stuff that's suitable for your portly build not stuff designed for 'normal people' :)