Hope District Lights

HamishD
HamishD Posts: 538
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Rather than hijack the SCR thread . . .
iPete wrote:
lastant wrote:
Just wondering if it was a Hope Red District rear light on the bike (and I think a Vision 2) on the front and if so I'm after a quick review of it / them...looking to upgrade my lightset this winter and was impressed with it's visibility and brightness.

The lights are epic, they are indeed a Hope 2 (155 from CRC) and Hope District (76 from Merlin). The combo works together perfectly. I was running a Hope 1 last winter with various rear lights and its so easy running two lights from 1 battery, no more constant AA battery charging!

Great to hear some feedback about the visibility, do worry that the rear is to bright but that doesn't seem to be the case.

That combination sounds the DBs and I may have to splash out but I'm concerned about how the rear would fit on an aero seat post. Does anyone know if the fitting would only work for round seat posts? Where does the battery pack fit incidentally?

Cheers and apologies, I know July is hardly the time to be discussing winter lighting systems!

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    The light comes with a clever mount with 3 different sizes but only for round seat posts, AFAIK there isn't an aero option. Drop Halo an e-mail to see if they offer a solution.

It may not be Winter but its been pretty grey recently so the lights are always on!

I can snap some pictures later but currently have the battery on the seat tube close to the wheel. May move it when the weather worsens as it'll get caped with crap but I'm confident it'll survive.

Thankfully my bike lives in doors at both ends but if you must take them on/off it doesn't take too long.

The bracket attaches securely around a seatpost shim (27.2, 30.9 or 31.6mm). These are a pain to attach and remove, but once on, the neat bayonet design of the clamp means the lamp can be quickly and easily detached. The downside of the design is it won’t fit aero seatposts, which will disappoint some time triallists looking for a light for racing.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/gear ... t11-44641/
  • HamishD
    Brill, thanks - appreciated :)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So you use the one battery (presently for the Vision 2) to run both sets of lights? Do you get a t-connector and extender cable or something?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, the cheaoer kit comes with a splitter cable, the more expensive one comes with it's own battery and charger.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Couldn't you use some Sugru to build up a mount for the light to the aero seatpost? Obviously you'd want to wrap the seatpost so that the Sugru doesn't stick to it.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • HamishD
    Hmmmm - could be do-able. might look a bit dog's breakfasty though, especially with my DIY skills!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If you get the District without battery you get a splitter cable which is plenty long enough.

Review worth reading:
    http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/gear/access ... rict-3.htm

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has jumped in and said it yet but you can get a similar system from China but Id rather pay the premium for Hope kit. Maybe worth looking into though..