Home alone

cycle monster
cycle monster Posts: 448
edited July 2011 in MTB general
I am about to have two wife and kids free weekends and am wondering where to ride. i live near Cambridge, so Thetford is a regular haunt. I am going to Sherwood Pines and Cannock Chase later this summer and thought about a trip to Bedgebury which i have ridden before. Am I missing anything obvious that needs riding? I mainly ride trails and XC.

Comments

• bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    I am about to have two wife and kids free weekends and am wondering where to ride. i live near Cambridge, so Thetford is a regular haunt. I am going to Sherwood Pines and Cannock Chase later this summer and thought about a trip to Bedgebury which i have ridden before. Am I missing anything obvious that needs riding? I mainly ride trails and XC.

Ditto me. To celebrate I'm mending punctures on her kitchen table.

In my underpants. :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am about to have two wife and kids
    Isn;t that called polygamy?
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Not to mention bad grammar.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    Depends how far you want to travel (and whether you have been left with a car).

Dalby would be just about doable for a day trip if you left early enough.

The 'classic' Peaks routes are within reach.

(Sidenote - have you ridden Sherwood before? If not then I'm not sure what you would find THAT different from Thetford aside from a tiny bit more gradient. Personally I think I actually prefer the Thetford trails of the two).

Doesn't it sometimes suck being an MTBer and living round these parts?

slainte :cry: rob
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Long trip to Bedgebury, Swinley is closer and better, and Surrey Hills a gazillion times better, if you can find your way around.
    Neither have marked routes, but both have better riding.
    Wales is probably not much further.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    To celebrate I'm mending punctures on her kitchen table.

In my underpants.

You have punctures in your underpants? :shock:
    "Coming through..."
  • pHz wrote:

(Sidenote - have you ridden Sherwood before? If not then I'm not sure what you would find THAT different from Thetford aside from a tiny bit more gradient. Personally I think I actually prefer the Thetford trails of the two).

Thanks, the trip to sherwood is with the wife and kids. Going there for its variety of singletrack and small person friendliness.

Hadn't thought of Dalby, will stick it on the list along with finding out how the alarm clock works.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Long trip to Bedgebury, Swinley is closer and better, and Surrey Hills a gazillion times better, if you can find your way around.

Thank you, I shall investiagte. I suppose going when it is liklely to be busy would be adviseable first time out. More chance of being pointed in the rigth direction.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    you could always go straight down the M11 to Epping forrest? but beware as said above, not way marked so either find a GPX file or meet up with one of us lot.

http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/forum.html
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Thank you, I shall investiagte. I suppose going when it is liklely to be busy would be adviseable first time out. More chance of being pointed in the rigth direction.
    A bunch of us ride those areas regularly, if you are planning on coming this way have a look in London Calling in Rides, welcome to join in.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Come over to Woburn - we have a club ride on Sundays (can sneak you in as a guest)! We have a slow group and a fast group, leaving at 11am.

Let me know if you want to join us.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Very helpful and welcoming. Planning to visit Swinley at the weekend following the recommendations on here. Will lose and find myself rather than burden others.
  • cooldad
    Very helpful and welcoming. Planning to visit Swinley at the weekend following the recommendations on here. Will lose and find myself rather than burden others.
    We are riding there on Saturday at 1, welcome to join in, no burden. At main gate (next to Go Ape), if you make it look out for small guy on a large Spesh Enduro and a slightly bigger guy (gut anyway) on a small Kona FS. Plus random others.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks again. M25 holiday traffic permitting, I will be there mid morning. Hope to catch up with you if i can.
  • Nightmare car journey, usual queues on the M25 then A332 closed... Got there at 11.30 set off to find the mtb expert stuff ended up finding mile upon mile of amazing singletrack, got completely carried away then realized it was 1.30 - sorry! Hope you guys had as good a ride as I did.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    pHz wrote:

Thanks, the trip to sherwood is with the wife and kids. Going there for its variety of singletrack and small person friendliness.

Hadn't thought of Dalby, will stick it on the list along with finding out how the alarm clock works.
    Ah, I was going to advise against going to pines, but if you're going there anyway, you might as well ride. It's definitely not worth the trip just to ride the trails.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    Glad you found the bits and enjoyed it. Great place for a bit of a play.
    Half our group got caught up in traffic as well, so only got going around 2. Perfect day for it though.
    I just ride up, a few minutes from my house so...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools