Whinlatter blue OK for kids?

othello
othello Posts: 578
edited July 2011 in Routes
We are off to the Lakes next week and we will be taking our mountain bikes and going Whinlatter and Grizedale. I was wondering how technical and steep the Whinlatter blue level is?

My two kids are aged 6.5 & 5, but are avid cyclists (they attend a cycle club and do track cycling every Saturday). I've taken them out to Swinley Forest quite a few times, and to begin with they stuck to the fireroads. But now they have been hitting the beginner trails (they have done Seagull for anyone knows Swinley). They will be fine on the fireroads at Whinletter and Grizedale, but I *know* they will want to give the trails a go, especially my 6.5 year old son!

So how technical is the blue? Doable?
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    IMO it will be fine, blue is decent enough without being technical, just flowy.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I've taken my children that age around the blue. Let them have a few stops though.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,005
    I took my son around the blue at Llandegla when he was about 6&1/2 and he was fine.

Common sense though, take loads of goodies and have lots of "rest stops" for the kids and enjoy it for what it is and don't assume that you'll be able to do any decent riding.

Have fun.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like the blue will be fine.

I'm quite used to the regular rest stops when we go to Swinley. Normal route is for the kids, my wife and I to ride around the trails. Then we get back to the visitors centre, they go and play on the climbing frames (where they get the energy I don't know!), my wife has a cuppa and I go back and ride for an hour by myself. Works out all round! :D
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com