Front deurailleur

revvers
revvers Posts: 81
edited July 2011 in Workshop
hello. I have been trying to correctly set my front mech ( :evil: ) it's o.k but I cannot get to the top 3 cogs on the rear cassette in the big chain ring at the front. When in the big ring I get so far and then the chain drops onto the smaller ring. Is this o.k? Am I trying to stretch things too far? I have a 2011 shimano 105 compact chain set and ten speed 12- 25 rear cassette

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    edited July 2011
    You may need to loosen your H limiter screw on the front mech and possibly increase cable tension.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    are you saying the chain drop off the big front ring?

the combos you mention are not really ones you should be using. but it sounds like unscrewing the H screw on the front mech may help as the mech will move out and the inner blade will hold the chain on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I'm having the opposite problem - when I shift up through the cassette, my chain will jump off the big chainring and on to the cranks.

If I tighten the high limit any further, I'm no longer able to change from small to big ring.

Any ideas?
  • Herbsman
    edited July 2011
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Start from the beginning and follow this: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... djustments