On One 456 (Updated end of page 2)

AlexJCook
AlexJCook Posts: 108
edited October 2011 in Your mountain bikes
After much thought and consideration of comments on my baby-framed Inbred, I've gone and sorted it, and then a few extras :)

It's got a few bit's left to do, but I'll list what should be the final spec.

SAM_0599.jpg

SAM_0600.jpg

SAM_0601.jpg

Frame
On One 456 Summer Season 18"

Fork
Kinesis Maxlight XLT
Crank Brothers Sage Headset

Wheelset
On One Max 32H
Michelin XC Dry2 2.0 (Soon to be Conti Race King 2.2)

Brakes
Deore M595
KCNC Razor Rotors 160f/140r
Superstar Braided Hoses.

Drivetrain
Deore Hollowtech Crankset
Surly 32t Chainring
Superstar Top Cage Device
Deore Shadow mech and 11/34 Cassette
KMC X9L Chain
Crank Brothers Candy X Pedals (Currently Rocking my Wellgos with ReStraps)

Components
On One OS Flat Bar
Thomson Elite X9 Stem
Ritchey Ergo Foam Grips
Thomson Top Cap
MtZoom Carbon Spacers

Thomson Elite Seatpost
Thomson Elite Seat Clamp
WTB Silverado Saddle

Comments

• Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Thats an interesting build.

Looks great with the exception of those pedal strap things :shock:

What made you elect a 456 frame with a rigid fork?

Are you sure thats a 32t chain ring?

Sorry for the questions, just interested...Looks good tho, how does it ride?
  • AlexJCook
    As I pointed out, those are temp pedals, normally my old Candy Xs are on there.

I got a 456 because On One had run out of Inbreds.

Definitely 32t.

So far on road and in the park it seems nice, not seen any proper action yet, will report back when I'm fit enough to take her offroad, my back can't take it at the moment.
  • AlexJCook
    p.s the other advantage of a 456 with rigid is the slacker headtube makes it less twitchy than an Inbred.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Very nice, i love the new decals on those things, and that colour definitely looks a lot better in there than it does on the website! Another 1x9 drivetrain as well, I'm convinced it's the way forward! Lovely bike :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • AlexJCook
    Yes it is! I don't miss double/triple up front. On road a bigger front ring would be useful, but that's a minor thing, I have a pompino for that! I see you're sporting a similarly nice setup ;)
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    Lovely bike!! I am loving the colour. Would love to have a ride of it and see what those rigid forks are like.

Where did you get the chainring if you don't mind me asking? And, have you had any problems with the chain coming off? I am in the process of building up a carbon 456 and want to go 1x9 also, so needing a chain device and chainring to convert my deore triple chainset.
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • AlexJCook
    I initially had trouble when just using the middle ring from the triple, hence going for a Surly, it's unramped. I got it from Charlier the Bike Monger on Ebay.

Unramped chainring makes all the difference, even with the top device the chain still jumped off at the extremes of the cassette.

Rigid forks are fine, the Inbred this replaced was the first mountain bike I've owned in a while, and I only put sus on the front for a while because I was doing a bit more trail stuff with friends at the time, otherwise I was using the matching On One chromo forks. Got Kinesis now because they are lighter :)

Before this I've been riding road and cyclocross bikes, but it didn't satisfy me as much as being able to throw an mtb around!
  • ilovedirt
    AlexJCook wrote:
    Yes it is! I don't miss double/triple up front. On road a bigger front ring would be useful, but that's a minor thing, I have a pompino for that! I see you're sporting a similarly nice setup ;)
    Haha thanks, yeah I'm really enjoying the 456 with 1x9 and a long fork, it's perfect for just all round trail//XC/messing about in the woods action! :)

Get a nice fork with lockout/u-turn on yours and it would be perfect for just about anything!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • AlexJCook
    Meh, I have a set of Recons in the garage, but whilst the squish is nice in the right situation, I prefer the low weight of rigids. I'm more used to rigid anyway so I guess if you don't know what you're missing...

I may go for some short travel in the future, but it's just so expensive for anything which weights less than about 5 tonnes.
  • limbsy
    limbsy Posts: 78
    Sweeet... looks mint :)

Just grabed myself a 456 as well, in strong blue... keeping it real... in steel.. :)

And your in Kent, what part?
  • AlexJCook
    I live in Aylesford.

Good lad, the On One boys have treated me well over the last few years and I enjoy their gear, so I'm a pretty loyal rider ;)
  • limbsy
    limbsy Posts: 78
    Ah nice one, Im just up the road in sunny Gravesend. :)

many a good pub round here :D we'll have to get everyone with an on-one to ride together haha
  • ilovedirt
    Fair enough, I guess it depends what you ride, I wouldn't want to ride the north welsh singletrack/trail centres with rigids! (my preferred use :) )
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Really nice looking build man, loving the rigid fork look the more on-one's i see the more i want one. Hopefully santa will bring me one.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • AlexJCook
    Fair play, horses for courses.

I know rigids don't suit everything, I'm not one of those blinkered fools who pretend they're 'so hardcore' because they ride rigid, I just like it for lightweight, zero maintenance and low cost!
  • AlexJCook
    Thanks kdawg :) Get involved! As far as I'm concerned nobody else gives you as much frame for the money!
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    Thanks for the eBay info re the chainring. I think i'll be checking my size required and purchase one as soon as I get chance. Was yours originally the deore chainset, like this just out of interest?:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40496

I've struggled to find the short chainring bolts needed for a 1x9 conversion. Where did you get yours from? (Sorry for all the questions).

I'm still waiting on superstar to re-stock the black-black chainguide...It seems to have been out of stock for ages now.

I plan on getting a WIP thread for mine in the next month or so, currently it's just a frame stuffed down the back of my sofa :)
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • AlexJCook
    Yep, that's the sucker.

I had some steel chainring bolts laying around, used the short backs teamed with the nice shiny raceface fronts :)

If you get alloy chainring bolts, it's really easy to just file them down if they are a touch too long, they usually have some length beyond the internally threaded portion, so you don't even have the problem of damaging the thread. You can leave the bolt part long, as it will just go all the way through. I've done this on my commuter fold up bike.

Hope that helps.
  • ilovedirt
    I used the brand-x short ones off chain reaction for mine i think (running a very similar setup). And yeah, as Alex said, it's important to have a singlespeed specific chainring, as when I had my ramped/pinned one on there, the chain still jumped off with the chain guide on. Not an issue if you have a SS chainring. I'm using a blackspire alloy DH ring, cheap(ish) and does the job just fine.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • AlexJCook
    Last couple of bits done.

With a sprinkling of dust from a couple of hours around local bridleways and tracks.

SAM_0603.jpg

SAM_0602.jpg

SAM_0604.jpg
  • chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    Looks sweet mate :) although...
    maybe some gold ones of these to match the hubs?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOOFB/on- ... -handlebar :D
  • AlexJCook
    Nope, already rocking silver ones the same, which I got full price! :(

The gold stays at the hubs, would get a black rear skewer if I could be bothered, gold one is fine though, does the job.
  • ilovedirt
    Beautiful, how does it ride?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • AlexJCook
    Still not got a true feeling for it, only riding gentle stuff, with my back and what not, whilst also making final tweaks like saddle/bar position and tyre pressures.

But I am really happy with it so far.

May try a different saddle is the only thing.
  • ilovedirt
    Charge spoon is always a safe choice.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • AlexJCook
    Really? I've heard mixed reviews. I think I'm going to try the WTB SST. The drop nose looks good for what I need and a little bit more all over squish. A knock on effect of my stupid spine crap is my pelvis is very tilted forward, so saddles are a troublesome issue.

But too much squish just feel like it's trying to penetrate me, so need a happy medium.
  • ilovedirt
    Fair enough, the charge spoon is fairly firm, but I get along with it fairly well. I've sat on much less comfortable seats. I have one on both of my bikes now.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Little update. I'm back riding a little bit now and have made a few modifications/upgrades.

Have gone to a double up front because I was running out of gears on smooth stuff and road.

Crank Brothers headset bottom cup split so now replaced with Cane Creek.

Riser bars make it a little more chuckable and fun.

Mountain King front for a little more grip on the front end, rear Race King is still sweet.

SAM_0608.jpg

SAM_0607.jpg

Alongside my long time lover the Pompino...

SAM_0615.jpg
  • dc71
    dc71 Posts: 170
    Looks good. Riser bars suit this bike much more. I'm surprised at that saddle, given that you were talking about getting something with a bit more squish!
  • AlexJCook
    Me too. I took a chance on it and it's worked out well.

Obviously for any distance padded shorts are a must, but the way you can slide around on this saddle and it's slim profile are really nice.

I'm now pretty sold on the shell flex thing. I wouldn't buy another stiff saddle regardless of how good the padding is.