British Airways Bag Restriction Advice

rhe
rhe Posts: 15
edited July 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm booked BA to fly to Spain and have my Bike Box Alan ready, but am now told it's too big for BA!

The max length with BA is 950mm and the Bike Biox is 1100mm, I measured the length of teh bike from rear stays to forks and it's about 970 anyway...

I have never had a problem with the budget airlines so long as it's less than 23Kg, does anyone have experience of the BA rules?

Comments

• orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    Text taken from BA website ' We will accept non-motorised bicycles of all dimensions provided they are packed in a recognised bicycle bag '

No mention of maximum dimensions.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Where did you got the info from,just had a quick look at BA site and the Maximum dimensions is: 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5 inches)
    Here’s the link http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba ... blic/en_gb
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • rhe
    trooperk wrote:
    Where did you got the info from,just had a quick look at BA site and the Maximum dimensions is: 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5 inches)
    Here’s the link http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba ... blic/en_gb

Thanks, yes apologies I got that wrong from memory - it was the height.

BA allow 1900x750x65

Bike box is 1110x940x300

Smaller except in height BA have said NO on the phone, but the note from Orbea looks promising.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Sorry, my info of Maximum dimensions of 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5 inches) is for a surf board (copy + paste the wrong bit) :oops: , if your bike box is standard size you won’t have any problem as my wife works for BA and she has check many bikes on board, hope that make you feel at ease.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • rhe
    trooperk wrote:
    Sorry, my info of Maximum dimensions of 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5 inches) is for a surf board (copy + paste the wrong bit) :oops: , if your bike box is standard size you won’t have any problem as my wife works for BA and she has check many bikes on board, hope that make you feel at ease.

Good enough for me thanks!
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    I used BA with my Bike Box Alan a few weeks back and no problems. On the way back I had to re-open the box at Vienna due to the machine being too small, so they could do a manual check, so worth leaving cable ties off the catches till the last minute
  • rhe
    Jay Clock wrote:
    I used BA with my Bike Box Alan a few weeks back and no problems. On the way back I had to re-open the box at Vienna due to the machine being too small, so they could do a manual check, so worth leaving cable ties off the catches till the last minute

Perfect thanks.