Kona - Lanai deluxe or secondhand Cinder cone or Blast?

nigelad
nigelad Posts: 6
edited July 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I'm new to all this - got a Kona Caldera 2010 with cycle to work scheme, and started exploring and loving trail riding on weekends. Then my lovely Caldera got nicked from my shed :(
Had no insurance, so funds are limited getting a replacement. I commute 7 miles each way, about a mile of it on wood tracks, wasteland and grass.
I bought a Kona Lanai Deluxe from Evans - 0% finance, and tried it out in the woods and commuting. Found it disappointing, unlike the other Konas I have tried, where I loved the ride. So I'm thinking about taking it back and scraping together cash for a 2ndhand older model. I could get a Blast Deluxe 2009 or a Cinder Cone 2008, both in good nick, for £300.
Or should I just stay with the Lanai?

Any advice on what would be the best deal welcome and appreciated.
Cheers
Nigel

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    In what way is the Lana'i lacking? I think spending your budget on a new fork and bits for it will work wonders.
  • nigelad
    Cheers Supersonic.
    The frame feels really heavy, and less responsive....than the caldera I got used to, but of course it would. the wheels also seem pretty heavy.
    Also it took a bit of faffing to get the mechanical disc brakes working smoothly and not rubbing, straight from the shop.
    I am worried the frame is not worth upgrading - the geometry is slightly different to the typical Kona, with an inch of upright between the sloping tubes below the headset.

I thought an older blast or cinder cone would be a better, lighter frame....plus hydraulic brakes and better forks, for the same money as the Lanai?
  • supersonic
    The frames are pretty good on the budget konas - wouldn't surprise if the Blast and Lanai frames are actually the same one for the xc version, and the AM version is probably actually heavier.

The Cindercone has a nice step up in parts.

Is a hard one to call: the Lanai is let fown by the fork. My own way would be to upgrade, but the 2nd hand option will equally have fans.
  • nigelad
    Thanks for the advice :)
    The 2nd hand Cindercone is supposedly only a year old [but blue 2008 model] and been ridden a couple of times, so I'm leaning that way....despite the prospect of a trip from london to axminster to collect.
    Is there anything I shoudl watch out for with a second hand bike?
    Cheers
    Nigel
  • supersonic
    That everything works ;-) Give it a very thorough check, as remember you have no warranty.