Noisy Juicy 3 front brakeafter padf

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited July 2011 in The workshop
Had some issues with my Juicy 2 brakes a while ago and an LBS changed the pads for me, after this the brake lever moved much less than before and shortly after the brake started squeeking when rolling (brakes off) tapping the brake stops this for a minute or two.

Why would the brake lever move so much less after changing the pads? The rear brake is still fine, no squeak and a resonable amount of movement in the lever (easier to put on softly unlike the front which is just a hard squeeze).

Is there an easy fix to this I can do myself (I dont have an Avid brake maintenance kit) I have tried recentreing the pads as recommended but this doesnt resolve the issue. It's quite an annoying noise and constantly tapping the brake isnt ideal.

Thanks guys for any help

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no such thing as a Juicy 2.

guess you mean 3?

sounds like they did not push the pads back fully.

just adjust the reach to suit and let then sort them selves out as they will do in a few more rides (well may take longer on the road).

if you really want to you could re align the caliper.

See parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mossychops
    Oops, I do mean Juicy 3's!

The have steadily getting worse for last couple of hundred miles. I have the Park tools bike blue book, but there doesn't seem to be a solution. I didnt think you could adust the reach on Juicy 3. I will check again.
  • mossychops
    I have tried that screw actually, its as out as it can go. Another point to menion is after squeezing the brakes tight the levers are loose for a very short while while it seems the pads move back in (there is no noticeable return on the pads on the rear brake) and the levers will flop about freely for a second or so.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Remove pads, give lever a squeeze to expose pistons, thoroughly clean, push pistons back, refit pads.

If you really want, drain system and bleed through with fresh fluid.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc