Headset noise - service?

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited July 2011 in The workshop
I have a Focus Variado road bike and shortly after it was new the headset started creaking (sounds more like a crack noise) when pedaling hard, Evans did a headset service which seemed to stop it, but its back only a couple of hundred miles later and also happening now on my Focus Super Bud full suss. They do both have the same brand and may be identical headsets, I am wondering if this is something I am doing when riding or if this is a fault or if it's normal.

Also is servicing this an easy job to do yourself? I do minor stuff but hate messing with bearings and find they get covered in dirt and a real pain to get back in properly. Is this worth attempting myself and what would need doing, simply a strip down and grease? I am quite scared of the headset cap too after trying to stop the noise the first time by tightening it and cracking it.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you need to adjust it a touch.

slacken the stem bolts first then tighten to top cap then tighten the stem bolts.

I suggest having a good read of parktools before doing anything to your bikes.

all the answers will be there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown