St David's to Bristol

Linds
Linds Posts: 20
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
Last year I did a four day tour from Bristol to Liverpool, Via central Wales and Snowdon.

This year’s plan has a tighter time constraint, so I’ve only got a weekend, so thought I would finish off Wales by Cycling across it, hence St David's to Bristol.

I've had a look at the Sustrans routes, but as I'm going to be on a road bike, the off road sections don't really appeal to me, so I’m looking for any alternative routes anyone would care to suggest.

I don't really want to include Brecon to Abergaveny on the route as I did that last year, so my preferred rote is South of the Brecon Beacons, but avoiding main roads/cities/towns etc. as much as possible.

The valleys around Aberdare/Merthyr/Ebbw Vale etc. make life somewhat more complicated, but I'd like a challenging ride (but no 25% monsters if possibly !).

Any hints or tips from the all knowing collective?

Thanks

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    A bit tricky since the valleys mainly run N to S. If you go South you end up on the busy A48 or pick your way through industrialised/urban areas. A bit further North, the Neath Valley is ok but when you get to Merthyr it is hard to avoid the bust A465 Heads of the Valleys road (or pick your way through towns such as Ebbw Vale. Between those two routes it is tricky to avoid built up areas around Pontypridd and Caerphilly.

I know you wanted to avoid the Brecon to Abergavenny route but if you dont mind one big climb, the Hay on Wye to Abergavenny via Gospel Pass is spectacular. From Brecon go via Talgarth to Hay on Wye. In Hay turn right up a tough climb (edge of the Black Mountains) through Gospel Pass. Past Lord Hereford's Knob (honest!); then descend on a decent single track past Llanthony, downhill all the way to Abergavenny. Tough but worth the effort.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    The alternative to the Gospel Pass is called the Golden Valley, parallel but a little further to the east. From there you have the choice of staying in Wales or going through the Forest of Dean.
    It is over 30 years since I cycled in that part of the world; born in Crickhowell, brought up in Gloucestershire, "c'est mon pays natal" as one might say.
  • Linds
    Linds Posts: 20
    Right it's update time

Plan is:

Day 1
    St David's to
    Camarthen (possibly using NCR 47 - although I may wing it depending on the hills) to
    Llandeilo to
    Glanaman to
    Pen-y-Cae on the A4067 B&B

Day 2
    The over the Breacon Beacons via A4076 to Brecon(ish), A40(ish) to Abergavenney then across to Cheptsow and the bridge.

I'm happy with everything from Brecon having cycled a chunk of it last year, but any advise on the A4067 (is it busy?) and all of day 1 would be apprciated.

Thanks