edited September 2011 in Pro race
What the hell?
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    He'll be riding the Vuelta then I guess...

What happens with his suspension. Is it from the hearing date or when the offence was committed. If it is the latter my theory is thus:

He will be found guilty and given a 1 year suspension from June 2010. Thus he is stripped of all prizes and prizemoney in that period but crucially the 1 year is now up and he is able to keep riding.. Wasn't Valverde's suspension backdated to when he actually failed the test?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cogidubnus wrote:

I believe he's announced he's not bothering this year with the Vuelta.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Which is a shame, could have added some entertainment and style to a borefest.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    Cogidubnus wrote:

What happens with his suspension. Is it from the hearing date or when the offence was committed. If it is the latter my theory is thus:

He will be found guilty and given a 1 year suspension from June 2010. Thus he is stripped of all prizes and prizemoney in that period but crucially the 1 year is now up and he is able to keep riding.. Wasn't Valverde's suspension backdated to when he actually failed the test?

Valverde was banned for two years on 31st May 2010, but the ban was backdated to the 1st January 2010.
  • I work for the MoD and even we're more organised than the UCI/CAS etc. Unbelievable.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I work for the MoD and even we're more organised than the UCI/CAS etc. Unbelievable.

I served 14 years in the Army and I call BS TBH :P
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Which is a shame, could have added some entertainment and style to a borefest.

The Vuelta is a great race. Not always but the last two have been really great - better than the Tour maybe.

This year is a climbers dream which is why I was hoping Contador would duke it out. 3 GTs ina year at max ia a lot though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,583
    I mentioned this elsewhere, but according to Edwin Winkels on the Avondetappe, the UCI have said Contador will keep any victories post the test, regardless of the outcome of the hearing.

So at worse, he gets banned and loses one Tour, rather than a Tour and a Giro (and all the other smaller races).
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Whether he's guilty or not, the delay is ludicrous.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    This one's like the "mousetrap". Gonna run and run.
  • StageWinner
    StageWinner Posts: 202
    I may have read it wrong, but didn't WADA ask for this latest delay?
  • andyp
    They did.
  • LeicesterLad
    Think Bertie will get off with this one anyway, regardless of guilt or not, as said if he gets a back-dated ban then the whole fiasco proves about as useful as a hole in a lifeboat, frankly they should let the poor bloke off after p*ssing around for over a year.
  • I work for the MoD and even we're more organised than the UCI/CAS etc. Unbelievable.

I served 14 years in the Army and I call BS TBH :P

Haha let's call it a draw
  • andyp
    Think Bertie will get off with this one anyway, regardless of guilt or not, as said if he gets a back-dated ban then the whole fiasco proves about as useful as a hole in a lifeboat, frankly they should let the poor bloke off after p*ssing around for over a year.

A substantial amount of the "pissing around" has been down to Contador's legal team employing classic delaying tactics, allowing their client to continue to race and earn his salary.

You cannot have the biggest name in the sport testing positive and then just let him off because the wheels of justice are slow to turn.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853

"let the poor bloke off"

:lol:
  • LeicesterLad
    andyp wrote:

A substantial amount of the "pissing around" has been down to Contador's legal team employing classic delaying tactics, allowing their client to continue to race and earn his salary.

You cannot have the biggest name in the sport testing positive and then just let him off because the wheels of justice are slow to turn.

Why not, i work for MoJ and have seen Rapists released under similar circumstances... :shock:

And don't agree with the Contador delaying tactics completely, at the end of the day his Legal team may have made request's, like in any case in criminal law or elsewhere, but requests have to be granted...
  • Road Ace
    Road Ace Posts: 16
    What a farce.......

How am I going to explain this one to the non cyclists at work tomorrow!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    Road Ace wrote:
    What a farce.......

How am I going to explain this one to the non cyclists at work tomorrow!

none of them will know about it so why would you need to explain it?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Ban on clenbuterol doping drug may be relaxed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14952870
    cartoon.jpg
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I don't see the relevance of this. Surely the rule would apply that was in place at the time. You couldn't retrospectively introduce a banned substance so would you you be apply to apply a retrospective limit.
    What am I talking about, why on earth would logic or reason be involved. This is a case that has ridiculed cycling, and there's surprise that sponsors aren't interested.