Cycling Revolution in Glasgow?

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
So I was back in my hometown of Glasgow last week. During that time I saw 2 roadies, 2 fixies/ss, 5 hybrids, and a smattering of BSOs - all ridden by people who didn't look like neds.

That's more than I've noticed the numerous other times I've been back over the years. I also drove past the site of the new velodrome, looking good it was.

Would still think twice before cycling through some parts of the eastend and southside though! :lol:

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Welcome back ........... See hell of a lot more than that most days on Maryhill Road, and that aint the nicest of area's at times.

Try along from City Centre to Exhibition Centre of an evening, along Clydeside or even up Kelvin Way (but not if you are a girl and with me - see another thread for details) and you will see loads on bikes.

Would not say a revolution just yet, but hope it catches on.
    Add to this the great work done by ED's Cycle Co-op in Bishopbriggs and in a few years it could take off big style. Oh and the superb efforts of the Glasgow Mountain Bike Meet Up Group... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I know I'm generalising, but cycling and in particular cycle commuting is something of a middle class option. Could it be that there is some underlying economic improvement in Glasgow? I know that in recent years it may have suffered in comparison to some parts of the UK, but in comparison to 10 or 15 years ago there has been something of a regeneration of parts of the city.

Agreed re: east side - it will be one of sport's greatest ironies that no cyclist in their right mind would cycle to the new velodrdome!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    No it's still a dump.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Its the sun, same here in Newcastle. Had the car for the commute yesterday, bloody cyclists everywhere :P
  • First.Aspect
    suzyb wrote:
    No it's still a dump.
    Well, yes. Regenerating Glasgow is like regrowing Caledonian pine forest - it will not be complete in our lifetimes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    It's happening everywhere.

I used to commute through Cambridge every day in '05-06. Had to do the same commute for a week or two in '10 and it was ridiculous.

At every traffic light I was used to seeing 4-5 cyclists at best. In '10 it was easily 20.

Full of guys who change through their gears like they're in cars. *CLICK CLICK CLICK* down when they arrive, and sit there spinning like mad from the the lights CLICK CLICK CLICK through the gears again.
  • First Aspect
    suzyb wrote:
    No it's still a dump.
    Well, yes. Regenerating Glasgow is like regrowing Caledonian pine forest - it will not be complete in our lifetimes.

hmm, not sure they can actually fix it up fast enough as we're now seeing the stuff done at the start of the "regeneration" falling apart. Always thought that the council shouldn't be allowed to spend capital money building stuff that they don't have the revenue money to maintain. You know like bl***dy bike lanes
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • First.Aspect
    First Aspect
    suzyb wrote:
    No it's still a dump.

hmm, not sure they can actually fix it up fast enough as we're now seeing the stuff done at the start of the "regeneration" falling apart. Always thought that the council shouldn't be allowed to spend capital money building stuff that they don't have the revenue money to maintain. You know like bl***dy bike lanes
    Yet all those tower blocks stubbornly refuse to succumb to concrete cancer.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I'm from Falkirk originally and was up there a few weeks ago and the cycling (or lack of) astonished me.

I moan along with most in London about poor cycling provision but compared to 'home', it is amazing. Junctions with ASLs were about as common as hen's teeth - they almost looked naked to a London eye. And I think I saw about three cyclists while driving around - all on the pavement (not dual use) compared to the three every other minute back in London.
  • suzyb
    Working near Falkirk I'm always amazed at how many cyclists there are compared to where I live and how much better the provision for them is :lol:

(even though they are mostly on the pavement despite the fact cycle lanes do exist in at least some places)
  • First Aspect
    Yet all those tower blocks stubbornly refuse to succumb to concrete cancer.

Quite. Its a pity that only the bits that make them habitable or vaguely acceptable visually are the bits that fall off or decompose.

Applespider
    I'm from Falkirk originally and was up there a few weeks ago and the cycling (or lack of) astonished me.

I moan along with most in London about poor cycling provision but compared to 'home', it is amazing. Junctions with ASLs were about as common as hen's teeth - they almost looked naked to a London eye. And I think I saw about three cyclists while driving around - all on the pavement (not dual use) compared to the three every other minute back in London.
    I work near Falkirk too and I can say that whilst the "provision" might not be so extensive the important things like the roads are in much better nick than in Glasgow. I'd rather have a decent bit of road that any number of cratered and gravel strewn cycle lanes, disintegrating speed humps or cyclist killer bus gates.
    There are fewer cyclists but there are more than there used to be and yesterday morning I saw (scalped) six on may way to work through Falkirk which must be a record.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I'm not sure whether that cheers me up (that there are lots more cyclists) or depresses me that so few can be an increase :wink:

Definitely take the point on road surfaces being more important than ASLs but does better cycling provision make drivers slightly more aware and encourage more cyclists out onto the road rather than terrorising pedestrians on pavements. I do think that seems to have been the case down here. And I've managed to convince at least one friend up there that if I can survive pedalling around London, she'll be quite safe pedalling through Camelon.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Good news for weegie cyclists
    BBC News wrote:
    One of Glasgow's most notorious landmarks is to be given a new lease of life as part of a Scottish government scheme to boost cycling rates.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-15005067
  • suzyb
    Wait....that bridge doesn't actually go anywhere.

:lol:
  • kelsen wrote:
    Would still think twice before cycling through some parts of the eastend and southside though! :lol:

Just a small aside cycling through Bridgeton (darkest East End Glasgow) last night - relatively roadied up in terms of commuting attire - happy drunk weegie man on footpath bawls at me 'Goan yerself son - go fur the GOLD!'

Well I was heading towards the new velodrome and I flatter myself that the ripped physique made him think I might be in training for the Commonwealth Games. Or perhaps he was just p**sed :wink:
  • suzyb wrote:
    Wait....that bridge doesn't actually go anywhere.

:lol:

Goes over the Motorway and has a 10 foot drop.... could be good for a MTB run :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Still no change here - although we do have one ASL - they demolished most of the town centre in 2007/2008 and the firm which was supposed the do the renovation went bust in 2010 - as a result large parts still look like bomb site - they've built a mini-park by tipping a couple of feet of soil onto the tarmac and planting trees - half the plants have been nicked already.