Fitting Sram Red non drive side crank

chris1001
chris1001 Posts: 58
edited July 2011 in Workshop
Hi,

Has anyone fitted a Sram Red crankset? I've got a question over the fitting of the non drive side crank arm. Attempted to fit it last night, and after loads of backing off, re-greasing and re-fitting I finally got it fitted so that its in as far as it'll go (the splined shaft has hit a kind of bump stop ring located in the non drive crank arm bolt hole. However there is a large (2mm+ ) gap between the crank arms and the BB cups. On the installation drawings there appears to be a spacer washer between the crank arm and the non drive BB cup, however the drawing is very vague so it might just be a BB outer seal. No spacer washer was included in the box and I cant find a reference to a spacer in any Sram parts listings.

Any help would be much appreciated as Sram dont have a tech support email address on their site anymore - and I've had no reply from supposed tech support email addresses I've found for them on other forums.

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I have fitted a new Sram Force crankset and no matter how many times I undid the non drive crank and tightened it, as per the instructions, I could not get it tight. Turned out the BB was faulty. I cant remember if there was a gap but the cranks could be moved from side to side. It was for a friend and the shop replaced the BB.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • chris1001
    chris1001 Posts: 58
    Turns out I need a convertor kit for my Hope BB. Sram have confirmed that there is no spacer washer, the thing that looks like one on the installation instructions is actually the BB dust shield (removed).