Cycling from Split (Croatia) to Venice - kit/spares list?

loz_the_guru
loz_the_guru Posts: 33
edited May 2012 in Tour & expedition
All a bit last minute, but me and a friend booked flights to Croatia, returning from Venice. In the cold light of morning i've suddenly realised how hideously under prepared we are!

Currently my kit list consists of a bike, a hand pump (which I find a nightmare trying to get the pressures into my road tyres), helmet, gloves and a bike tool!

Obviously i'm going to need some panniers and a rack, but what would people advise b way of spares? I was considering taking 4 inners and some brake blocks. Would a set of folding tyres be a good idea, or unnecessary?

As for clothes, are cycling shorts/a reasonable top an absolute necessity, or a luxury? I've just finished a teacher training course and won't be paid until the end of September, so the budget is tight!

My other question regards getting the bike safely there/back. I have only jus trealised most bike bags will be impractical, as they'll have to be carried with us throughout the route. I might be able to snag a big cardboard box from a local canoe shop for the trip out, does this sound like a good idea? The other thing I found was this link, which recommend basically a giant plastic bag:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... -on-planes

any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance guys, i'm sure between me and him we'll get it sorted!

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Four inner tubes is way too many. One between two plus a puncture repair kit (or self-adhesive patches) should be enough - two if you are cautious. Remember to meticulously check the tyre before you put it back on. If your current tyres are in good condition you shouldn't need to carry a spare. Carry a Park Tyre Boot just in case - it should get you to the nearest bike shop if the tyre wall does split. If your pump is no good invest in a better one.

A cardboard box is a good idea - although, excuse me if I'm being ignorant, but won't a box for a canoe be the wrong size? The 'CTC bags' have their fans and the theory is a good one: if the baggage handlers can see that it's a bike they will treat it accordingly. But personally it is too much of a leap of faith.

You probably could get by without cycle shorts, but I'd buy some if you can afford them. If not try to find shorts without seams in awkward places.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Something else that is lightweight and sensible to carry is a spare link or two for your chain, preferably one of the simple-to-instal Powerlinks (or equivalent) and be sure the chain tool in your multi-tool is up to the task. Many aren't. Park make a very fine collapsible chain tool.

I agree with the above post - four tubes is too many to carry. Two at most and if your tyres are good to start with, you shouldn't need a spare tyre either, not for that distance. A tyre boot, such as Park's, is a good idea, and of course a good patch kit. Tip-Top make about the best; easily found and often on sale.

Good luck
  • Thanks for the tips guys, i'll cut down on the inners and leave the tyres behind. I'll keep a lookout on ebay for some cheapish shorts and chain links too. On the chain links, the casette is an 8 speed one, and all the powerlinks i've found are for 9 speed chains - in practice, does this make a difference?

Anything else worth taking, or is that pretty much it?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Bike shops in the region are as good as any and you can find all modern parts inc brake blocks.

I have flown with a plastic bag and insulating pipe, and carried it around on my rack. Its not heavy but is a bit bulky.
    Don't put closed waterbottles in with the bike in a bag, they need security inspection so you have to undo everything. Make sure that you get the bike accepted by luggage/security guys before you stow away all your packing equipment.
    Each airport has a different criteria for package size, basically it has to fit their X-ray machine. Once I had to remove the front wheel to make the bike small enough.

I have picked up bike boxes from local bike shops at destinations. You need a knife, string, ductape to make it all fit and carry well.

Powerlinks have to be the correct "speed" Find a better bike shop, you can get them.
    Carry a small amount of decent lube, eg Finish Line.

Bike shorts are really required. Bike jersies are not essential but nice to have. Sports/synthetic T shirts work OK. Gloves and helmet are needed for safety, they prevent a minor spill turning into a hospital visit and wrecking your holiday.
    Make sure you have enough insurance and take your European Health Insurance Card (old E111).

I toured in Slovenia quite a lot, its beautiful country and one of my favourite. For budget accommodation with hearty local food, try Tourist Farms. Local tourist info can direct you.
  • This is brilliant guys, thanks very much for all the input. Various bits now on order and i'm feeling a bit more prepared, thanks again.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Cheap shorts - Decathlon. paid £22 for mine.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Right, majority of kit now sorted, one final thing. I'm riding a Giant SCR3, and my friend reckons the tyres are useless and it'd be worthwhile spending a bit of cash on some replacements. They currently have Michelin Dynamics - the cheapest tyre I can see on CRC!

Would it be worth getting some Schwalbe Blizzard tyres to replace them? Again they're not exactly high end but I thought they might be a bit better (and also they're red and match the bike!)
  • tbshooter
    tbshooter Posts: 16
    I recently toured in Croatia and Slovenia and had no trouble finding local bike shops. I flew back from Zagreb and easily found a bicycle shop with two bike boxes they were getting rid of.
    Have a great trip!
    http://www.moreadventure.co.uk/ | Supported Cycling Events with More Adventure
    http://amzn.to/1IGXmUg Cycle Touring: Your Guide to Everything Bike Touring