Books about drugs on Le Tour?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
I'm looking for some good books on doping in Le Tour and have so far found three on Amazon -

1. Bad Blood - the secret life of the Tour by Jeremy Whittle

2. Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage

3. Breaking the Chain - Drugs and Cycling by Willy Voet

Does anyone know if these are any good or if there are some better titles? I'm particularly interested in the 1998 Tour and drug use since EPO came into the sport in the 1990s, rather than Tommy Simpson's speed usage etc..

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Bad Blood is excellent, but it's more early-to-mid '00s.

Breaking the Chain is pure late '90s, but it's more gossipy. Imagine a NOTW series done on doping in cycling by an 'insider'.

Rough ride is quite retro, and he only really mentions the juice from time to time.

It's mainly his experience of the Tour and cycling generally.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Never mind his drug usuage, cheating etc etc (all covered in posts passim ad nauseum) - what the feck has Dopey Millar done with his barnet in this month's ProCycling as he pretends to use a typewriter and not to have had his book ghost written for him?

It looks like he's let someone's else's wife's kid style it with lard.

Tragic.

And that's all Yossie has to say on that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Death of Marco Pantani's by Rendell, but that's about him and his death (no sh!t) rather than the juice, though that plays a role.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Rendell's biography is a masterpiece. One of the best biographies I've ever read.

For drugs in the 1990s how about David Walsh's From Lance to Landis?