broken brakes?

earls
earls Posts: 48
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm runningTektro Auriga Pro's and have been having problems for about 3 months now. I bleed them and they work for one ride then view become unresponsive again, the lever comes all the way to the grip, there's obviously air getting in but I don't know where or how? The other problem is the pads aren't close enough to the rotor, I have to take my wheel off give the lever a little squeeze and put my wheel back on.

Surely thats not right?
Any advice will be really appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are either not bleeding them correctly or you have a leak. do you see any leaks?
    sounds like you are not allowing them to settle (self adjust)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • earls
    Defo bled properly, got a mechanic friend to do it.
    Can't find any leaks anywhere on the unit.

What's this settle/self adjust? Do I just leave them be for a few hours before using them after bleeding?
    Any ideas about the pad thing?

Thanks for your help by the way.
  • nicklouse
    earls wrote:
    Defo bled properly, got a mechanic friend to do it.
    Can't find any leaks anywhere on the unit.

What's this settle/self adjust? Do I just leave them be for a few hours before using them after bleeding?
    Any ideas about the pad thing?

Thanks for your help by the way.

so bled correctly. but no leaks. Sorry not bled correctly.

as you use the brakes the pistons self adjust.

after bleeding you need to reset the pistons by pulling the lever a few times. usage finalises it.

check for leaks by operating the lever a few times and hold. does the lever continue moving slowly to the bar? then you have a leak.

If not then you need to bleed your brakes correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • earls
    Cheers mate, I'll have another go tomorrow.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For air to leak in, fluid must leak out (if its blead properly), if the pads are sitting off the disc as you describe, then that will give over long lever travel which will feel like they need bleading.........

Have you tried the old trick of elastic banding the levers back to the bars for a while, often helps settle the pistons/pads out.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • earls
    I've not Simon but I will.
    I'm sure they're bled properly, my mechanic mate is a bit of bike guru.
    Checked the levers this morning, they don't move once the reach their limit if I continue to squeeze if that makes sense.
  • nicklouse
    earls wrote:
    I've not Simon but I will.
    I'm sure they're bled properly, my mechanic mate is a bit of bike guru.
    Checked the levers this morning, they don't move once the reach their limit if I continue to squeeze if that makes sense.

so there is nothing wrong with the brakes they just need resetting and using. try using the reach adjust as the often makes things happen faster. (adjust the levers away from the grips).
  • earls
    Levers fully extended and elastic band in place.
    Cheers fellas.