Replacement parts after an off

d.mart
d.mart Posts: 88
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Had my first decent off on Wednesday last week. A considerate passenger in a car in a stationary line of traffic on Trafalgar Rd, Greenwich decided they needed a drink (I guess) and couldn't wait to pull in so opened the door without looking. The gap between their car and the car parked next to the kerb (which I was about to coast through) was about car door width. Didn't leave a whole lot of outs to be honest. No matter what plan you have in your head in the event of an impending off it goes straight out the window as soon as you see what's about to happen. Grabbed for the breaks but was pretty much on toip of the guy when it happened so hit a combination of the back of the parked car (brake light smashed) and the door with left knee, shoulder and temple. Bit blurry here but went over the handlebars and landed in a heap in front of the car door. Knee and shoulder a bit banged up but could have been a lot worse as later realised the helmet was cracked clean through on left temple...cheers :shock:
Anyhoo, details taken and settlement tbc (passenger having said totally his fault SMIDSY will pay for bike etc etc) but in a quandary as to how to replace parts. Handlebars damaged along with breaks and bar tape. It's only a stock Langster and thought this might be the time to change up those bits that were damaged. Bit clueless on quality of part to go for as replacement value of stock Langster bits isn't massive but would pay a bit as online deals pretty good.
Seen this stuff online and wondering what the better alternatives are:

Bars: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41423
Bars: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=52262
Brake levers: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27936
Bar tape: ??

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated with guide for budget around £50 for bars, £50 for brakes and £15 for tape. I can heal my body myself but bike needs a bit more input, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Quite cheap to 'fix' a Langster, turn your wheel around! :lol:
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • d.mart
    Hmmm, thanks :?

Turns out having a helmet cam and calling police in events such as this are the only way to avoid getting f**ked...turns out the little scrot gave me a bogus mob number. Will have police take it further but wiling to bet significant $$ on the address being bogus too. Car had driven round corner before brain had stopped rattling enough to get license and neither passenger nor his mate who also got out would supply number plate deets. Mind you basis the fact that the mob number is cr*p there's nothing to suggest they would have given correct license plate either.

Everyone out there who rides regularly - WEAR A HELMET and also GET A HELMET CAM!!

Lastly if anyone was riding along Trafalgar Rd on Wednesday last week (20/7) at about 6:15am and saw any of this please get in touch. Thanks again.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Sorry to hear you've been done over...

Hopefully the Police can help locate the muppets? You have reported the incident to the Police haven't you?

I've gone down the camera route, it should be arriving today! :wink:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Would love to see the police charge driver & or passenger with an offence contrary to S2 Fraud Act 2006
    person is in breach of this section if he—
    (a)dishonestly makes a false representation,
    Giving false number and or address
    and
    (b)intends, by making the representation—
    (i)to make a gain for himself or another, or
    (ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.
    He clearly exposes you to risk of a loss ie not being able to recover the compensation
    (2)A representation is false if—
    (a)it is untrue or misleading, and
    (b)the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.
    (3)“Representation” means any representation as to fact or law, including a representation as to the state of mind of—
    (a)the person making the representation, or
    (b)any other person.
    (4)A representation may be express or implied.
    (5)For the purposes of this section a representation may be regarded as made if it (or anything implying it) is submitted in any form to any system or device designed to receive, convey or respond to communications (with or without human intervention).

penalty per the Fraud Act is as follows
    person who is guilty of fraud is liable—
    (a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum (or to both);
    (b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or to a fine (or to both).

however, at present max penalty in mags court ie summary conviction is 6 months, not 12 for one offence
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The driver wouldn't give you the number plate? Surely you could look at it yourself?

Sorry to hear the scrotes have pulled a fast one though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Sorry to hear about the off, use that route regularly myself.

Moral of the story is that whilst the adrenaline / embarrassment of a crash make you want to MTFU and ride off my understanding was that if someone is injured in an rta then the police should be called.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • d.mart
    @bails87 would have but he pulled away and around the corner as I was sat at the side of the road trying to decide how hurt I was.

@butterd2 that was the gist of my first reply. getting a camera soon and if there are any more incidents involving damage/injury police get called regardless.

@spen666 am trying to get hold of someone in Met Police Traffic dept in order to up the severity of the case. They came to the hospital (was only a short stay) on the day and took a statement so will try and get them to pursue a bit more vigorously.

Thanks for replies.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Moral of the story is that whilst the adrenaline / embarrassment of a crash make you want to MTFU and ride off my understanding was that if someone is injured in an rta then the police should be called.

Quick question and forgive my ignorance here: when you say 'call the police' do you mean 999 or the local cop shop? obviously 999 in the case of an emergency but if you're only a bit injured and an ambulance, say, would be a bit excessive what is best to do?

999 feel slike an overreaction and the local police staition may not make a priority of it and take hours to arrive- by which point your fake mobile number is all you've got...

never been involved in a serious accident *touches wood* so never been in the situation...
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    d.mart wrote:
    @spen666 am trying to get hold of someone in Met Police Traffic dept in order to up the severity of the case. They came to the hospital (was only a short stay) on the day and took a statement so will try and get them to pursue a bit more vigorously.

Thanks for replies.

i'd not build up your hopes on the Met. I had car registration & photos of driver and they still were "unable" to identify driver. This despite fact car was a hire car.

did they prosecute hirer for permitting Mr X to drive with no insurance? Course not
    did they do anything? Not until 1 day before 6 month time limit up- then said case out of timer to prosecute!
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    d.mart wrote:
    @bails87 would have but he pulled away and around the corner as I was sat at the side of the road trying to decide how hurt I was..

Ah......b*stards!

Get well soon, and good luck.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."