Forest Usage- Do we need to be worried

RallyBiker
RallyBiker Posts: 378
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Just looking at the Rally Forum that I use, and came across this that may have an impact on usage in England. What are your thoughts?

http://www.britishrally.co.uk/forum/vie ... =5&t=40011

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    hi mate, the link doesn't work. it says that you have to be a member to access the board
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    Thanks! Here's a smidgin

The following was emailed fromt the MSA Press Office this afternoon:

The government’s proposed changes to the ownership and management of public forests in England pose a very real danger to UK motor sport – and in particular Stage Rallying.

The Independent Panel established earlier this year to look at the forestry issue and make recommendations to government contains only one representative of leisure users – and that is the Ramblers’ Association. Consequently, there is a great danger that the interests of motor sport will not be considered in the panel’s final report; the disastrous impact of this would be to risk motor sport being excluded from both the public forest estate and any of the forests transferred into private ownership.

The panel is currently consulting with the general public to find out ‘What the forests mean to you?’ It is essential that as many people as possible from the motor sport community make their views known to the panel.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES IS SUNDAY 31 JULY 2011.
    The panel is asking the following questions:
    Q1 – What do forests and woods mean to you?
    Q2 – What is your vision for the future of England’s forests and woods?
    Q3 – What do you feel to be the benefits of forests and woods to:
    a) you personally;
    b) society as a whole;
    c) the natural environment; and
    d) the economy?
    Q4 – We would like to hear about your suggestions of practical solutions and good practice which can be replicated more widely.
    Q5 – What do you see as the priorities and challenges for policy about England’s forests and woods?
    In order to submit feedback to this consultation, simply send an email to: forestrypanel@defra.gsi.gov.uk, detailing your name and answering as many of the questions as you wish.

PLEASE RESPOND BEFORE THE END OF THIS WEEKEND.

It is essential that as many people as possible emphasise the importance to motor sport of continued access to the public forest estate. If we fail to do this, there is every chance that the requirements of motor sport will simply not be considered by the panel.

A sample response paper can be found on the MSA website with some key issues highlighted that you might like to consider when completing your submission. You do not need to answer all the questions, but please respond in your own words, as this is significantly more impactful than an obviously orchestrated campaign.

Further information about the panel and the consultation process can be found on the defra website.

If the only group involved to date are the Ramblers, then we're all doomed, if they get their way!! :evil:
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Go here to have your say the easy way:
    http://38degrees.org.uk/campaigns

Fill in the blanks and 38 Degrees very kindly compiles the answers.

Do it. Do it now.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ah i already filled that 38 degrees thing in :D
  • foxc_uk
    Good man! :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I mentioned to RallyBiker earlier that I don't really "get" polotics, and that I thought this whole forestry sell off thing had been called off anyway, but, this makes me wonder...
    The Independent Panel established earlier this year to look at the forestry issue and make recommendations to government contains only one representative of leisure users – and that is the Ramblers’ Association.
    Now, with regards to Rallying (which is hwo this came to light), well, that's not a leisure activity, so there may well be some other representatives, but not classed under "Leisure".

I mean, I don't know of ANY publicly accesible forestry where you can just turn up in a rally car and rag it.
  • foxc_uk
    This is very true Yeehaa, but the consultation that affects everyone that uses forests/woodland ends 31st July. They are basically asking the public for their viewpoints.
    As the majority of the public are a bit bone idle (I include myself in this) not many of them are going to be bothered to actually write an email answering the questions posed. Which means they'll take what little information they have and try to push through some other kind of sell off based on it.

This is about as political as I'll ever get.

Fluffy bunnies.*

*bunnies because it's woodland... you don't find many kittens in the woods.
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I thought this whole forestry sell off thing had been called off anyway
    So did I... :?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Anonymous
    I mentioned to RallyBiker earlier that I don't really "get" polotics, and that I thought this whole forestry sell off thing had been called off anyway
    Was absolutely certain in my typically sceptical mind that in no way had it been called off, only swept under the carpet until such a time they can do it without people noticing.

Typical way of dealing with it is to make it a hassle for people to have their say, and generally not advertise the deadlines for consultations. No one responds, they go ahead happy that the public have had their initial rant and thought it was over and done with then moved onto getting worked up over phone hacking.
  • divingmoose
    divingmoose Posts: 540
    I am pretty sure that the sell off has been called off, thats what i was told only a few weeks ago.