Problems with my bottom bracket.

mikeysickalrigh
mikeysickalrigh Posts: 246
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I was riding my bike yesterday, (slow climb) when I heard a crack, followed by the crank arms completely locking up. I looked down and saw that the crank arm was about 5mm or so away from the frame.

On further inspection it appeared that the bottom bracket was coming out of the frame, and the plastic cup(?) had a crack down the middle. This bike is only 5/6 months old.

I took it into my lbs today to be fixed and later got a phone call saying that they had just screwed it back in, saying that when they tighten the bottom bracket, the cups often crack due to the tension. Could someone with the knowledge tell me if this is correct? Shimano have made a product that has to be broken when fitted?! Is it likely to happen again?

I am now nervous to ride the bike, as prior to this incident I was riding at 25mph+ on a single track through trees. If the pedals suddenly stopped moving through there then I would have been in BIG trouble! I surely now have a bottom bracket/crankset that is likely to lock up?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!! :) :?:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    err sounds like bollocks.

what is the BB? or make/model/year of bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec025034

Camber Comp 2011.

Need to check that it is crap before I go in and make demands!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Wouldn't have thought that would stop the cranks turning. Are you sure it wasn't always like that and the jamming up wasn't caused by a momentary bit of chainsuck or something?

I've cracked the plastic bit before, duno if I'd go as far as saying that it often happens though. But anyway, this

saying that when they tighten the bottom bracket, the cups often crack due to the tension.

Is not the same as saying this
    Shimano have made a product that has to be broken when fitted?!
  • No the crank arms weren't moving at all up until I took them into the shop.

Bad workmanship? Anyway I have never been confident in their ability to put a bike together...
  • nicklouse
    so what had come lose?

which crank had moved?

nothing in that set up should break.

Evan will not have fitted the BB so nothing to do with them so dont start slagging them off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Not slagging evans off didnt buy from them , it's from another local shop without a website.

The left crank. The crank itself had jammed, it looked like the bottom bracket was unscrewing itself. I was told what I could see was the cup. The cup was also split. I would guess that as it was unscrewing itself, the jamming was a result of it cross threading? As the cup I could see had thread on it
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited July 2011
    Your LBS without a website would not have fitted the BB neither, would have been done in the factory.
    If it's a fault, should be sorted under warranty, they shouldn't screw themselves out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Could someone with the knowledge tell me if this is correct?

Why would you ask a London black cab driver about a bottom bracket?
  • I didn't ask a black cab driver, just anyone with knowlede.

I guess I'll go in and ask them to contact specialized.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your warranty is with the dealer, so they should sort everything out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    Not slagging evans off didnt buy from them , it's from another local shop without a website.

The left crank. The crank itself had jammed, it looked like the bottom bracket was unscrewing itself. I was told what I could see was the cup. The cup was also split. I would guess that as it was unscrewing itself, the jamming was a result of it cross threading? As the cup I could see had thread on it

the left arm could not move. the cup splitting would not effect operation. the cup touching the arm would.

so it they have refitted it and it works it will be fine. are you sure it was split or was it a molding line. It would be very hard to fit if it was split.
  • so it they have refitted it and it works it will be fine. are you sure it was split or was it a molding line. It would be very hard to fit if it was split.

Yeah had a 1mm or so gap between the split, they even admitted it was a split, said that they often split.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Buy an es51, making sure you get the same shell & spindle lengths as you have on the current BB. Use the cup from the new BB with the es25. Keep the es51 for when you need to replace the es25 - they don't last forever.

I use octalink BBs on several bikes and have never cracked one of the plastic cups despite not using a torque wrench.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Those plastic cups are stupid. I have an old metal cup from a Shimano which I keep reusing for obvious reasons. The plastic ones crack.
  • Buy an es51, making sure you get the same shell & spindle lengths as you have on the current BB. Use the cup from the new BB with the es25. Keep the es51 for when you need to replace the es25 - they don't last forever.

The thing is that it is within warranty so I don't want to spend money for the moment.

Might ask them to sell me a es51 at a discount, save us both money
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The bottom bracket itself should be fine - it sounds like it just needs a new support cup. This is all that cup does.
  • nicklouse
    so it they have refitted it and it works it will be fine. are you sure it was split or was it a molding line. It would be very hard to fit if it was split.

Yeah had a 1mm or so gap between the split, they even admitted it was a split, said that they often split.

never had one split on me other than when removing old one.

the metal ones are not really any better as Sonic says all they do is support the bb body.