Scotland Road Trip videos GOPRO HD

cavehill
cavehill Posts: 126
edited March 2012 in MTB general
We took a weeks road trip and done Glentress/Innerleithen - Laggan Wolftrax and the nevis range. This is some of the video hightlights

A short video with a mix of the full week.
http://www.vimeo.com/26824386

The Full Nevis Red Route
http://www.vimeo.com/26841673

The World Cup DH (The camera wasnt rolling for the first wee section)
http://www.vimeo.com/26768749

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Good stab for a first run that. Random riding-off-the-edge-of-berms aside :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Nice vid of the World Cup course, it look brutal! It looks like you done well though!! Kudo's!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    Nice! Must get up to Fort William soon!
  • cavehill
    Cheers all. Aye dont know what happened on that corner one minute I was up next I was picking myself up. Class buzz all the same.
  • cavehill
    As for the course. Yes it is brutal, even the smooth looking sections are brutal. We heard the stories and going up in the gondola I said it looks grand smooth in places. How wrong I was. Physically wrecked by the bottom and that was with stops.

Would love to have a full weekend at it try get a real good run at it. (Maybe stay on too :lol: )
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Nice, I liked those...........music choice was a little odd though :?
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • cavehill
    I am sh1te with music tbh!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    On the Fort Bill one the cam was pointed a little too far down for my liking. Good view of the front of the bike working, and the ground directly in front of it, but would have looked better angled up a little imho.

I always find the best helmet type vids are the ones that are done exactly where your eyes would fall if you were the one riding.

I also agree about the music, properly awful, turned the sound off after about 30secs.

Still pretty good vids though in spite of the above.
  • Northwind
    I liked the gigantic switch from good System of a Down to terrible SOAD :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cavehill
    Yeah I know what you mean about the camera angle. If you look at the difference in the red and the DH videos you will see what you are talking about. I raised it for the red to get a better view.

I did want to show the ground though and the work the bike was doing but went a bit too low.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Good video (only seen the DH one, watching the others now). It's hard to get an idea of just how difficult it is off a video, even a good quality one still flattens trails out doesn't it.

Northwind, I seem to remember you saying you did it on a HT?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cavehill
    There is no reason why you couldnt do it on a hardtail. It would just be extra hard work. The biggest drop off doesnt seem to be open to the public anyway the rest if you hit it sweet you wont need suspension. All depends on the ridder too. Many relay on a full sus to get them out of bother, kinda point and shoot type thing were as a rider that has a bit of skill can make the bike work for them.

I am a bit of a point and shoot ridder but I enjoy it and thats what its all about to me.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    good vids, you can never go wrong with system of a down.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Northwind
    edited July 2011
    bails87 wrote:

Only the bottom half, on my Soul... It'd go though. I'm reasonably sure I could get my rigid bike down it :lol: There's a couple of bits that might not be such a good idea on though.

Jesse Wigman was 8th in the endurance dh on (I think) a Dialled Alpine, 12 laps in 6 hours, mostly under 7 minutes a lap... Impressive stuff. I only managed 8 at around 8 and a half minutes each, but then I kinda suck ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cavehill
    8 laps is some going fair play. I was knackered on one.
  • How did you find the Remedy on the Fort Bill DH course?
  • cavehill
    The remedy was great. I would have loved to have a Downhill rig to see the difference but it handled the course well.
  • bails87
    Northwind wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Only the bottom half, on my Soul... It'd go though. I'm reasonably sure I could get my rigid bike down it :lol: There's a couple of bits that might not be such a good idea on though.

Jesse Wigman was 8th in the endurance dh on (I think) a Dialled Alpine, 12 laps in 6 hours, mostly under 7 minutes a lap... Impressive stuff. I only managed 8 at around 8 and a half minutes each, but then I kinda suck ;)
    Hmm, I wonder how much I suck compared to you? :lol:

I'm just thinking, if I happened to find myself there one day, how well the 456* would cope.

*A 456 ridden by me, which might be the problem :wink:
    MTB/CX

• Will have to try it sometime. Was never sure wether or not to take my remedy to a full DH circuit but you might have just twisted my arm.

Great videos by the way.
  • cavehill
    The remedy is an All Mountain bike. Sure it wont flow over the rougher stuff as well as a Downhill rig but no reason not to ride it on Downhill circuits.

Get up there and enjoy"
  • Superb vids :D

I want a camera for my birthday I think.
  • J273
    J273 Posts: 382
    Just watched all 3 ..great vids feller :D
  • cavehill
    Cheers again for the comments and viewing. Good to give people a view of trails they are thinking about visiting.

Still buzzing from that trip just wish I was back there.
  • bails87
    It looks amazing, the 'Road Trip' video was particularly good, very nice work.
    MTB/CX

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,234
    I've just got a gopro with the bar mounts, I'm just waiting for my chest strap to arrive though.

1st outing I set it to time laps instead of filming, second outing was much better though but I haven't chopped it about yet,

Do you find the camera slipping down on the bar mount when going over rattly stuff? Not the actual clamp on the bar but the camera case to the mount.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Northwind
    Nope, but it's got to be pretty tight- I use a wee screwdriver rather than relying on the thumbscrews.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • andrewyzfr6
    andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
    Ive done the DH at fort bill on my HT, it can be done but I dint find it enjoyable(I did the red on it too and it was fine). Ive done it on the 5 too, and it was fine(the red route is excellent on the 5). Bought a DH bike a few months ago and what a diffrence in speed and comfort!!!!!!. So I'll just take all the bikes now as i have a transporter!!!
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • cavehill
    Firstly I wouldnt use the GoPro bar mount on the handle bars. Even on my road bike its too bumpy. Secondly if everything is tight it shouldnt move.

Try using it in upside down mode. I found that helps in a lot of the mounting positions. As the camera is hanging downward its not fighting gravity so to speak.

I would love a transporter. I have a caddy and it does the job but always wanted a transporter for bikes and kit and sleeping option should I need it.
  • cavehill
    Oh and dont worry about the slip ups at the start, Camera position, video mode, picture mode etc are all things we all go through setting them up. I have a few gig of videos facing the ground :oops: ok to add as snips but not for a full run.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I've just got a gopro with the bar mounts, I'm just waiting for my chest strap to arrive though.

1st outing I set it to time laps instead of filming, second outing was much better though but I haven't chopped it about yet,

Do you find the camera slipping down on the bar mount when going over rattly stuff? Not the actual clamp on the bar but the camera case to the mount.

yes I get that all the time, it can be a pain
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6