North Wales Trail Centre History

Chinley Churner
Chinley Churner Posts: 313
edited July 2011 in Routes
Hi,

Doing a bit of research and was wondering if anyone's got any links (or knows) when the following trails opened.

Marin
Red Bull (CYB)
Beast of Brenin
Llandegla Black

Also, hopefully tapping some local knowledge, am looking for a "classic" 20km (ish) North Wales natural route (pref Snowdonia area)... route descriptions, suggestions or GPX files gratefully received.

cheers.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I remember when CYB was just a clearing in the forest in fact I remember when yawn zzzzzzzzzzzz....
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    The Marin is local to me but god knows when it opened, its been there as long as I've been MTB'ing since '93

I know plenty of North wales rides but I dont think I have any GPX files.

Do you live around North Wales or are you planning on visiting?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Visiting, live in the Peak District... am wanting to do an epic long weekend charting North Wales' mtb history.. rough plan is..

Friday

am: Natural Loop (how it once was)
    pm: Marin Trail (first purpose built trail)

Saturday

am: Red Bull Trail (first at CYB)
    pm: Beast of Brenin (the iconic North Wales trail)

Sunday

am: Llandegla Black (classic modern trail centre trail)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i'm sure that i rode the red bull trail as it was in about '95. i may be wrong though :?

it was a short technical trail only about 9km long if memory serves me correctly, but it was a long time ago :lol:
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    There is no Red Bull anymore is there?Changed to the Tarw(I think) and it's slightly different from the old Red Bull.
    The Beast(or maybe Dragons back) was until a few years back(2007/8?) called the Karrimor.The Beast trail emerged when the new VC opened.
    The VC moved from one side of the road to the other and the trails were changed and some renamed.Which ever it was the Beast(in name) is relatively new.
    The old MBR trail was longer than the current one(IIRC)
    Trails info here:
    http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/C ... renin.aspx
    We rode the old MBR trail the last week it was open and there were old and new signs together...very confusing but we'd ridden it before so knew it quite well.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Nah, red bull is gone however the Tarw does take you over the road and you head up through the start of the old red bull. Shame you dont use the finish of the old red bull anymore, there were some lovely swooping berms there 8)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.