Are Rock Shox Dart 3 forks supposed to work at all?

portland_bill
portland_bill Posts: 287
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Why have I apparently been so unlucky with the forks on my Cube Acid?

They've always been the let down of my Cube Acid since I bought it 2 years ago.

I didn't think they felt right and they made a lot of suction noise when I first bought it, so I took the bike back into the shop and they had a look at it. I got the bike back a week later and they told me they checked the forks and they were absolutely fine and that's what they were supposed to sound like.

Oddly enough my mate bought a Specalized Rockhopper (I think) which also has Dart 3s on, and they've never made any noise and always felt so much sturdier than mine, but they insisted they were fine.

A few weeks later I noticed there was oil on one of the stanchions and assumed that there must be a faulty seal. I called the shop and they told me to take it back in (55 mile round trip I might add!) so they could have a look. They said that it's probably just excess oil (manufacturers apparently fill them with for transit) leaking out. and after they cleaned them up and kept an eye on them, there wasn't any more. Since then, apart from when I've wiped it off, I've never seen them without a small film of oil over the stanchion.

About 8 months down the line, I noticed the chrome plating on the stanchions was started to blister and peel off. So I called the shop again and had a proper go this time because it was always the suspension that was causing problems. So they suggested I take the bike back in again.

I took the bike in and they agreed that they shouldn't be doing that after 8 months of hardly any usage. So they removed the forks for me and sent them away to a service company.

I got them back with a report saying they'd replaced the stanchions as they were found to be defective and they'd changed the seals while they were at it.

When I got them back, the noise from the forks had calmed down a bit but is still there on rebound.

After a couple of weeks, the oil was back on the stanchion. Instead of going back to the shop, I decided to go to a couple of more local bike shops and they both said the same thing that it was most likely just excess oil in the legs seeping out and likely caused by me keeping the bike on it's side in the back of my car. (It's rarely on it's side in the back of my car for more than half an hour to an hour depending on where I'm driving to.

Anyway, I think it's got worse and worse, and my mates basically turned round and said to forget about it. They were cheap forks and I couldn't expect too much of them. As far as I'm concerned, whether I pay £100/£600/£1000 for a bike, I expect it to work and do what it's supposed to do. Not necessarily to the same standard a more expensive product might, but it should still work. I don't buy this BS about paying less for something so you have to put up with it never working.

So anyway, I got back in touch with the LBS and they said a seal has probably gone but that they wouldn't be covered under the warranty so I can take it in to the bike shop but I'd probably get charged for it.

I went out to Chopwell Woods on Saturday and took this photo while I was having a banana break.

225752_10150252620396673_730331672_7821234_8059460_n.jpg

Brakes?!?!?!?

My mate finally agreed that I've just been unlucky with them and that I should just sell them as spares or repair and buy a different set of forks.. I'm not exactly made of money so that's not an option at the moment.

I guess what I'm wondering is should I approach Rock Shox about this? Although they don't cover seals in their warranty, the forks have always had a problem, it's only getting a lot worse now, but nobody's ever done anything about it when I've asked.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is too much oil, and is a faulty seal.

Though Rockshox are not obliged to do anything - your contract of sale is with the retailer.

In my opibion the fork is faulty and needs looking at or replacing. The only thing that the shop may ask is if you have serviced it as you should according to the manual. It should be a warranty job.

Fork noises are normal, is the damping - depends how you have the damping set!
  • supersonic
    PS check it is not coming out of the top cap and dribbling down.
  • It's only coming out from the seal around the stanchion where you can see. Obviously I'd been using it there which is why it's a little cruddy but I've always tried to keep the seals as clean as possible so it's not through negligance.

But you reckon take it back to the shop? They're f'n useless like... :?
  • supersonic
    Yeah, they should not be spewing oil like that, upside down or not. They are not overfilled from the factory - the damper uses a specific amount, as does the oil bath. You get a little in the seals that comes out, but not that much!

It is faulty!
  • Right, I think this calls for a stern letter... :wink:
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Also dangerous with that much oil coming out on the brake side leg, as super says take them back to the shop with these pics and the evidence from the times before that you have taken them back.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It is faulty - but it's 2 years old! No matter how bad it was you can't really prove that now.

What will your stern letter say - my fork aint worked right since they were new, now after not following the service guides they don't work proper at all....

I'd say what are you expecting from a bottom of the range less £100 fork?
  • supersonic
    AH, I missed the two years bit, thought they were 8 months old lol.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    err European warranty is two years.

page 7

http://ec.europa.eu/publications/bookle ... /64/en.pdf
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    That's an EU directive though, not UK law so may not stand.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the EU trumps the UK. so it is always worth pushing it. and talk to the CAB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Rock Shox warranty is 2 years.

Page 9 of this pdf - http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files ... 20C_28.pdf
  • earls
    earls Posts: 48
    I've got the same forks on my rockhopper and all though they aren't leaking they're still gash! As soon as I can afford a replacement I'll be upgrading.
    I know it doesn't help your situation mate, but after 2 years I'd but my loses and look for something new.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would agree with earls. At best you are going to get another mediocre set of forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thing is, I hear what you're saying about it being 2 years, but every time I've taken them in, they've just given an excuse and basically fobbed me off.

It's not like I haven't given them a chance to put it right...

I would obviously prefer a better quality set of forks, but just can't afford them so I have to make the best of what I've got.

My stern letter will say basically what I've already explained. That they've never been right from day one. They've had them in for what they already admitted was a fault so there was obviously something wrong from the start, but every time I've taken them in to the shop I've just been given some lame excuse and sent on my way.

Failing that, I could just wait till I have an accident from oil contamination of my brakes and see what they've got to say then...

Oh and by the way, I got 2 free services when I bought the bike. Both times when I took it in, I mentioned the forks and the oil, and they've noted it on the service forms and said nothing was wrong both times. Would that count for anything?
  • I should also point out that although they're inexpensive forks, they're still branded forks and still sold as a component that should work.

When I was younger I bought an Apollo mountain bike from Halfords that had unbranded front forks on that I can't imagine cost very much. Never a problem with them. The entire bike only just cost over £100. :?
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I'd try and argue that the forks were not fit for purpose I think that's your best argument as its been two years
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Failing that, I could just wait till I have an accident from oil contamination of my brakes and see what they've got to say then...
    You could. But I doubt it would be very satisfying.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sale of goods act, bike is not fit for purpose, threaten you'll reject the whole bike unless they sort the forks once and for all.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.