Servicing Wellgo MG1s

steve_muzzy
steve_muzzy Posts: 259
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have 2 pairs and the left hand pedal has seized on both - bizarrely the RHS is perfectly fine in both cases

Firstly - does anyone know if this is a trend? i.e. why is it the LHS that seizes

Secondly how do you service them?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steve_muzzy
    thanks, search didn't work (and google pointed me to MBR)

will take them apart and see what's what
  • nicklouse
    also have a look in the FAQs for an easy way to add grease. and be aware that one of the nuts may have a left hand thread. some do some dont.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jedi_master
    jedi_master Posts: 888
    Just to confirm so you know, the MG1 right hand pedal does have a left hand thread for the nut.
  • steve_muzzy
    quick update- the problem seems to be lying with the seals, or the lack of seal... all sort of crap was getting in there causing the problem - very dissapointing on a pedal which is a couple of months old

I cant get access to the tint nut to take the pedal apart to clean/grease seeems to be a 11mm but my socket set is just too wide... anyone know here I can get one?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you can't find a thinner one the best option is to get someone to grind one down.
  • jedi_master
    It's a 9mm nut. A 1/4 9mm socket will fit fine.
  • nicklouse
    Just to confirm so you know, the MG1 right hand pedal does have a left hand thread for the nut.

and just to reconfirm not all have left hand threads. some do some do not. yes it is a pain as it is very hard to tell.
  • jedi_master
    We talking MG1s or pedals in general? Pedals in general I do know this but if we are talking MG1s then I did not know and thanks for the info.