Just a bit of advice re: getting rid of stuff.

armpitofillomen
armpitofillomen Posts: 17
edited July 2011 in MTB general
So I'm selling a fork and frame (or rather, buy form and get frame "free") in the classifieds but I'm wondering if it's a better idea to build the thing up and sell it as a complete bike in an attempt to get slightly more out of it. I've rummaged around and I've enough old-but-OK bits & bobs to cobble together a near-complete bike, I think.

Basically, just a question re: economics of bike selling and how people react to parts v (near) complete bike.

Thanks

Comments

• DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Depends - how old is the kit that will make up the complete bike? How much are you looking to get for it? Does it sound reasonable to you?

If it is older than 2 years, then I'd suggest (going by my gut feeling) that selling as parts will get you more money (or the same amount as what you spent - I doubt it is possible to make more money from the parts unless you manage to sell to a complete newbie who is ignorant of prices).
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Generally, you get more money from splitting a bike and selling the parts individually than selling it as a complete bike as most people on here are probably looking for upgrades/replacement parts for their current bike(s) rather than a whole new one.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seen my bike, nearly new condition, complete for £200 on ebay (was just under £1k new). 2 year old bike. I've seen the forks (Recon 327 Solo Air) and rear shock (Fox RP2) go used for between £150 and £200 alone.

Problem I can see is if the frame isn't high value and a couple of years old or more, selling it on its own may be tricky. I doubt mine will sell at all on its own. Frame + fork or frame + rear shock is perhaps a good combo to sell. Someone may go for it just for the shock with frame as bonus and could get a little more.

Though the battering mine has taken I doubt any of it will sell for more than a quid anyway :D
  • Yeah, that's what I figured - thanks. I'll; see if I get any nibbles for what I've got up now.