Internal cable routing...

williambowland
williambowland Posts: 131
edited July 2011 in MTB general
OK - I am curious...

How does one replace the cabling on bikes with this new fangled internal cable routing tackle =] ...

I have enough ball ache replacing external gear cables!

I have noticed a tendency for WMB to claim internal cable routing gives a "quieter ride"... hands up those who have noticed the deafening cacophony created by their gear cables. I dunno... my hardtail is quite noisy what with the chain slap, Hope free hub and the gruntings / exclamations of its pilot - maybe I am missing something?

W
2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Actually I've found that people's bikes who have internal routing tend to be noisier, since there's nothing really to stop the cable rattling around inside the frame.

Anyhooooo, the easiest way to replace cables, assuming you've already pulled the old ones out, is to feed some string into the hole at one end, and keep hold of one end of the string. Then stick a vacuum cleaner at the other hole, switch it on, and it will suck the string through.

You can now attach the cable to the string, and pull it through.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Vacuum for fitting, cables wouldn't have thought of that one Yee, good idea that one lol
  • Anonymous
    Vacuum for fitting, cables wouldn't have thought of that one Yee, good idea that one lol
    well, to be fair, cables don't think of much apart from sea anemones.
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    leave the outer in while you replace the inner, then pull out the old outer leaving the new inner in place. and thread new outer over th new inner.

simples :)
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    well, to be fair, cables don't think of much apart from sea anemones.

:lol:

I'm not sure the vacuum would work - I don't think you'd get a good enough 'seal' against the frame, except on something like a Five with a lot of flat surfaces! Generally the best way (assuming you've pulled the old one out) is to swear lots and spend hours faffing.

My Top Fuel has little 'windows' you can remove around the guides, so you're aiming for a substantially bigger hole, makes things marginally easier!
  • Anonymous
    you really don't need much of a seal though, mind, since the string doesn't weigh much.
    It's often enough to just help the seal with your hand.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Good tip - I like that!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    On a similar note, once you have a cable fitted you should never have to go through the hell again. Even if you're changing outers + inners, just slide out the old outer but leave the inner in position, slide the new outer onto the old cable, then remove the inner and replace.

Or the other way around, basically make sure you always have either outer or inner fed through the frame.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it also varies from frame make to make as some have internal guides.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Seems like a lot of faff for little reward.
  • Anonymous
    Seems like a lot of faff for little reward.
    Erm, the reward being a bike that has gears and brakes.
    Becoming a fixie rider (particularly against your will) could be considered a fate worse than death.
  • Chunkers1980
    My bike has gears and brakes, just the cables are on the outside.
  • Anonymous
    My bike has gears and brakes, just the cables are on the outside.
    So your bike doesn't have internal routing. Others do - and those that DO, often don't have any external routing points.
  • Chunkers1980
    I know that. My point was on the OP.

So to repeat my self somewhat - internal routing seems like a lot of faff for little reward.
  • Oooh...

I have been looking for an excuse to get my hands on a DustBuster. Maybe buying a new bike would provide me with the reasoning that will surely persuade the missus that I desperately require a little vacuum cleaner...

I reckon there is a cheesy joke on the "cleaner look" vibe there somewhere if you are willing to lower yourself.

Internal guides? What? Surely that is cheating or something?

W
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
  • Anonymous
    I know that. My point was on the OP.

So to repeat my self somewhat - internal routing seems like a lot of faff for little reward.
    I agree that internal routing is a bit daft, but, if your bike has it, you have no option, so you're not really helping the OP.
  • Chunkers1980
    Are you sure you have no option? What about full length outer gear cables?
  • Anonymous
    No cable stops.
    You're still missing the point - it was asked how you replace the gear cables in internal routed designs.
  • Chunkers1980
    You have 2 x cable stops - one at the mech the other at the shifter - zippies, string or anything specifically made for it or not will work should you not want the faff if you're forced into it by your frame being internally routed.
  • I was only curious... my ride is "oldskool" enough to have external routing still =] .

Internal cable routing seems to be on the up - been looking (from a distance) at a few bikes with it so I just wanted to know how to replace the cables.

W
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I had a Klein Attitude that had internal routing, made for a nice clean look to the frame with no cables routed on the outside of the frame. It could be a right mare if you forgott and pulled the cable out without sliding a thin tube in through the frame over the inner cable!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.