Tour Giro Double

pat1cp
pat1cp Posts: 766
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Will we ever see it again ?

Pantani was the last in '98. Based on Bertie's performance in the Tour and the gerneral consensus that the use of PED's has been reduced will we ever see it again ?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Yeah, we will.

Had Contador not crashed I think he'd have won.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Yeah, we will.

+1 Plus Bertie did mention doing the Vuelta aswell this year, so a Giro/Vuelta double could be on the cards still.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Yeah, we will.

+1 Plus Bertie did mention doing the Vuelta aswell this year, so a Giro/Vuelta double could be on the cards still.

Assuming he doesn't get banned i'd be very suspicious if he went to the Vuelta and destroyed everyone. If he was tired before the Tour he should be knackered by the Vuelta.

Let's face it, Contador only rode the Giro because he thought he might be banned for the Tour. Unless you are Italian or on an Italian team then it's a big risk to try and win the Giro if you also have serious ambitions in the Tour. As fans we all love the Giro, but for most sponsors the Tour is more important in terms of publicity.

A Tour/Vuelta double would be different as the Vuelta win would simply be a bonus if you've already won the tour.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • pat1cp
    He's done that already, no ? 2008 ?
  • inkyfingers
    pat1cp wrote:

He did the Giro/Vueta double as his team was banned from the tour. That's different though as you get 3 months between them to rest and recover. Whereas you only get a month between the Giro and the Tour or the Tour and the Vuelta.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 142
    pat1cp wrote:

That was when Astana were barred from the Tour wasn't it?

Barney Riis did say that he might ride all 3 GTs thisyear. I agree that he's probably just squeezing in as much racing as possible while his future is up in the air.
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • StageWinner
    StageWinner Posts: 202
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... lta-espana

No Vuelta this year for Bertie. Assuming CAS don't ban him.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp wrote:

He did the Giro/Vueta double as his team was banned from the tour. That's different though as you get 3 months between them to rest and recover. Whereas you only get a month between the Giro and the Tour or the Tour and the Vuelta.

Sorry, that was kind of my point.

Can a GT double be done with a month of rest ? (In a potentially cleaner era).
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Agree that Contador would have had a great chance without crashing - not just the injuries but losing time getting caught up in crashes. Depending on who is in the Giro I think Contador might be able to win that with a little bit in reserve some years - I hope he goes for it again.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    Possibly an interesting fact...
    The Tour/Vuelta double has been achieved by two cyclists:[9]

Jacques Anquetil (FRA): 1963
    Bernard Hinault (FRA): 1978
    Mañana
  • pb21 wrote:

Back then, the Vuelta would be raced in May, before the Tour...
  • inkyfingers
    pb21 wrote:

Back then, the Vuelta would be raced in May, before the Tour...

Good point.

I think it's fair to say the The Vuelta has always been the 3rd Grand Tour in terms of prestige.
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 142
    pb21 wrote:

Was that when the Vuelta was earlier in the season? I think it used to run around the same time as the Giro.
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • Echo et les Boniments
    edited July 2011
    edit
  • Spezial wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Was that when the Vuelta was earlier in the season? I think it used to run around the same time as the Giro.

Typically, Vuelta would finish when the Giro would be starting. It was often possible to race both. Vicenza's finest Giovanni Battaglin actually made the Vuelta/Giro double in 1981!
  • LeicesterLad
    I must admit i deffinately like the Vuelta the least, always seems like a bit of a rubbish field, and there isn't much to look at in spain either, but hey, its racing, ill watch it.
  • LeicesterLad
    I must admit i deffinately like the Vuelta the least, always seems like a bit of a rubbish field, and there isn't much to look at in spain either, but hey, its racing, ill watch it.
  • LeicesterLad
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    There are a lot of good bits to race in Spain - and a lot of good mountains but the organisers seem to do a fantastic job of going to the rubbish bits most of the time.

Wiggins should be racing the Vuelta and he might have a good crack at it if he can keep his form till then!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Unfortunately he has already stated that he will be ridinng the Tour to win next year and definitely not doing the Giro.

Shame he isnt riding the Vuelta but I guess going to the three biggest races and being a major protagonist is a bit much to ask.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Unfortunately he has already stated that he will be ridinng the Tour to win next year and definitely not doing the Giro.

He's an optimist then. His next participation in the Tour is likely to be in 2014.
  • LeicesterLad
    andyp wrote:

He's an optimist then. His next participation in the Tour is likely to be in 2014.

I wouldn't put money on it.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    andyp wrote:

I wouldn't put money on it.
    neither would I. He might get a year at most. I tend to think he might just get cleared.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    One of the reasons that I wanted Contador to win this year was to prove the Giro / Tour double is possible, and to avoid the situation where riders only target one GT each year.

Oh, and I also think Contador will be riding in 2012. I'm not an expert, but it seems that WADA's clenbuterol position seems to be inconsistent, and that CAS won't like that.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Contador must prove that clenbuterol contamination is common in Spanish meat. If he can't, then by the terms of the concept of strict liability, he's guilty.

If Pat McQuaid doesn't believe the contaminated meat story, then I very much doubt CAS will.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    well he did a pretty good job is riding the tour with one leg so I think without the crashes he could have won this year.

The quote on velo news says he will NEVER ride the Giro again which I think is a shame as he could do the double and seems to be a rider who understands he needs more than one race on his palmares to be a great