Noisy MTB's is that simply how it is ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Or am i doing something wrong ? or maybe expecting too much ?

Got a bloody creak on my pedals/drive again.... i simply CANNOT get rid of this and have swapped out the pedals, crankset and BB.. i think it may be the BB again ?

my Headset was recently replaced with a CRC one.... again, that's quite 'clicky' now...

Is this simply how it is ?

Comments

• weeksy59
    Well blow me down... i spoke to CRC about the creaky headset...
    "I'll send you another one, forget about the one you have, if you get a chance sometime send it back".

Impressed with that :)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Nope, most stuff should be quiet bar maybe some brek squeel and chain flapping at speed :s

contact points and bearings hsould be pretty quiee, but generally need a bit of love every 3-6 months to keep uhm smooth depending on the amount of riding you do :)
  • weeksy59
    Nope, most stuff should be quiet bar maybe some brek squeel and chain flapping at speed :s

contact points and bearings hsould be pretty quiee, but generally need a bit of love every 3-6 months to keep uhm smooth depending on the amount of riding you do :)

Headset was bought on the 5th July... fitted by my LBS. Although i did tighten the cap both after fitting wheel and lining up stem... i'm wondering if i may have boll&&ed it up in the process and tightened too much.
  • Thewaylander
    possible, headsets should be tight enough to have no play but really no tighter or you are putting extra pressure on the poor little bearings :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've got an annoyingly creaky seatpost/frame interface at the moment, and I just cannot eliminate it.
    Curiously, it vanishes halfway round a ride!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just work you way through the info on Parktools as often the noises have nothing to do with what you think.

Link in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There's never an excuse for a noisy bike, sort it out :-)
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    There's never an excuse for a noisy bike, sort it out :-)
    Awww, ok then. I'll do it later. :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Yee, just grease your pole and slip it in :p will be fine hehe
  • Anonymous
    Yee, just grease your pole and slip it in :p will be fine hehe
    sure, I'll ring you after work. But, what should I do about my seatpost?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'll do your seatpost in a minute.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    Assuming you have a metal frame and a metal post pop the set post out, give it and the inside of the frame a good clean. Then use an asembly paste (Shimano anti-seize is good) smeared inside the frame when you re-insert the post.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    I'll do your seatpost in a minute.
    Now that's just getting kinky! :shock:

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • weeksy59
    Did the seatpost last night.. considering it's only a couple of months since i last did it i was suprised how much crap was in there.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    I silenced two of my bikes that had creaks when pedalling by removing the bottom bracket and wrapping the threads in PFTE tape.
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    I had a creek/klicking noise from my Trek EX that was diving me nuts try'd everything i could think of to sort it then when i was striping down the headset AGAIN i heard the sound with the stem and fork out !!!!! It was the gear cable ferrals creaking doh !!!!! :oops:
    Quite as a mouse now though and I always lube the cable ends on all my bikes from time to time now :?
  • weeksy59
    Well i may be a spanner... but it's much happier this evening. Took the top end apart and ran the headset bearing round with no issues, noises... so obviously we're in the wrong ballpark thinking it's the headset.... removed the grips.... still the same.... removed the brakes and gear levers... still the same.... Grrr.... Removed the bars and fitted spare set... FINE !!!!! Weird.... put the old set back on... "clicky clicky".... other spare set, .... nice... So the noise from the top end is actually the BARS !!!!

Only tested outside but it seems a cleaning of the BB area and seatpost have sorted my other pedally area/bottom end noise too !!!

Result :)
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Testing your bottom end noise outside was very considerate, wish some of the people I work with would do that...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Well i may be a spanner... but it's much happier this evening. Took the top end apart and ran the headset bearing round with no issues, noises... so obviously we're in the wrong ballpark thinking it's the headset.... removed the grips.... still the same.... removed the brakes and gear levers... still the same.... Grrr.... Removed the bars and fitted spare set... FINE !!!!! Weird.... put the old set back on... "clicky clicky".... other spare set, .... nice... So the noise from the top end is actually the BARS !!!!

Only tested outside but it seems a cleaning of the BB area and seatpost have sorted my other pedally area/bottom end noise too !!!

Result :)

check bars for cracks
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Tom Howard wrote:
    Testing your bottom end noise outside was very considerate, wish some of the people I work with would do that...
    :lol:
  • weeksy59
    Well it seems the VERY new WEllgo cheap pedals were the cause of that final noise.

Fitted a set of Candy C SPD's and the bike is quiet as a mouse.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I'm gonna steal this thread as it relates to my issue, installed an Sram X0 rear mech replacing the X9 as that was crap a while ago.

Now the X0 works perfectly but hell it rattles like mad when biking along at speed, yet when on the workstand its as solid as a rock and nothing is loose, its the only thing I replaced recently.

Additionally the mech only rattles when its in the few smallest cogs on the cassette, stretch it out to the larger cogs and it stops.

Looking down I can't see anything untoward, its the same size i.e. long cage.

Ideas?