How to remove a shock from a Marin Attack Trail

copydex
copydex Posts: 5
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I did search on the forum before posting this but didn't find the answer, so apologies if this is a common question.

I have a service kit for my Fox RP23 on the way and I wondered if there is anything in particular I need to know before removing the shock from the bike? Can I just unbolt the shock or do I need to remove anything else from the bike first? I see that it has a hex bolt fastener on the top mounting point and a hex bolt and nut fastener on the bottom point - is there a particular order that these need to come off, or any special tricks involved?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Download the Marin service manual from their website - it's the ame for all quadlink bikes.

Honestly though, if you're scratching your head about it, then I'd suggest leaving to somebody else to do - it's pretty straightforward.
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Hi,

Basically you undo the top caps and get access to the mounting bolts...not sure what year of bike you have but my 09 has a 4mm allen key head on the bolt and a nut on the other end...so you undo the nut and then you can push the bolt out...

I'd suggest removing all tension/weight off the bike as once you undo the bolts and remove them, the suspension will want to move - reducing the weight tension will stop it collapsing/extending unexpectedly.

Remove back end and the shock is simple to remove from there.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hmm curious, the '09 wolf ridge has a titanium axle with threads and an allen socket each end, and a 10mm nut that fits either side.
    So the allen key is only used to stop the axle spinning when tightening the opposite side.
    Curious little difference, eh?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing special other than with out the shock the bike will fold up on you if not supported.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • copydex
    copydex Posts: 5
    Thanks for the replies. I thought it looked pretty straightforward but find it is best to ask before starting the job, as getting half way through and then discovering a hitherto unsuspected 'quirk' can be quite annoying.
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Yup...my 09 Mount Vision also has the ti bolt and the 10mm nut heads (which appear to have now taken proper hold with threadlock)...

If it is an 09 and the Quad system is the same in each system, then the nuts needs to be tightened to 18 Newtons and best done with an allen key in the other end and tightening the nut - to ensure that the 18 newton pressure is done on the nut and not the other side of the system (if that makes sense!)
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...